MY Box fish is Dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilly

Aquarium Advice Regular
:cry: Dont know whats wrong with it. Its been eating fine and swimming fine for a month now. My water parameters are good and my other fishes and corals are ok. It had some sort of skin problem on it. Its skin looks like its eating his flesh. I can see some red stuff on its back. What can it be? its not swimming but only staying at the bottom of the sand :cry:

Looks like an infection of some sort, maybe an injury. Do you own a qt tank?
If so I would move him ASAP. Not only for treatment, but these fish can release a toxin when they die that can wipe out the tanks other animals. Even when stressed they can release the toxin and a 25 gallon tank can be wiped out rather quickly.

i did take it out and put it into a spare tank, it died within the hour. So what kind of infection is it? how come my other fish dont have it?

Not sure, maybe bacterial from an injury. Did you notice it anywhere else on the body?
Since the fish had been in there for a month I doubt it was parasitic, but watch your other fish closely to be sure.
Sorry for your loss. :(

Its weird it was ok in the morning but when i got home from work it was already not really responding and was down on the sand. A few days ago it was really doing well then all of a sudden it died. I use iodine to feed the corals would that have any affect on the box fish?

gilly said:
I use iodine to feed the corals would that have any affect on the box fish?
Depends on how much you used and at what stength but most likely not. Iodine poisoning wll moreso affect the inverts than fish, at least in the beginning. FWIW, iodine added to the water does not feed much of anything, it's an element that is gained through consumption of foods, not the water itself.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom