Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

my clown lost a fight

Well I took out the anenme out of my tank, and my clown got the snot beat out of him by a damsel. He is banged up pretty bad, but still alive and swimming. He is eating well and acting normal. I moved him to a tank with no fish. Now I am left wondering if he will ever grow his fins back, or if there was a medication i could give him to help the healing process. Thanks for any input

Old 01-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try Stress Coat. It contains Aloe Vera which heal wounds and speed tissue growth for fish.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not to be harsh, but flush that damsel. Especially if it was less than $5. Segregate the hostile fish, not the injured.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
They make several conditioners that you can add to speed healing and fin regrowth. Just ask at the LFS and they should be able to show you a couple.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Not to be harsh, but flush that damsel. Especially if it was less than $5.
Or maybe a little less harsh would be to return him to your LFS.
Keep the water quality high and lace his food with a vitamin supplement such as selcon. Clowns are tough, he may heal up just fine.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The flushing statement would have been out of frustration given I were in his shoes. I wouldn't want to toss $ down a toilet regardless of how much it was. That and if it weren't for the closest FS not accepting fish back/trade/returns/nothing on SW fish - I would drop the hostile in his own tank, or donate him to a friend. Hopefully your clown survives, but given he is still eating, acting for the most part normal -- you may be fortunate.

BTW, quarryshark, what kind of angel is that for your avatar? Do you have that in your tank? Its pretty.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
That is my P. Maculosus (Map, Red Sea, Half Moon, etc) Angel about a year ago. She has since lost here juvi stripes and doubled in size, great fish. She resides in my 210.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I put him in a new tank because it gave him more room, and he has more room to hide and be safe. In my other tank I have a crab that tries to eat injured fish, and he is just about impossible to catch. I just thought moving the hurt one to a safer less stressfull atmosphere would aide his healing. Thanks for the quick response just in time for me leaving for the fs
Old 01-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Kiko
Crab Catcher

I had a crab in my 55 for a while. When it began to menace my clown fish, I caught it and release it to the beach where it must have come from (I collected most of my live rock from one stretch of beach after a big south swell a few years ago).

The crab was easy to catch. I just put some shrimp in my net and dangled it above the rock were I had seen the crab before. The crab ran out of hiding and climbed onto the net. All I had to do was lift the net out of my tank, put the crab in a jar, and take it to the beach and let it go.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Ugh. My stripped demsils once attacked and killed my cleaner shrimp all the dude was trying to do was help...I must say losing a 25 dollars cleaner shrimp to less than 6 dollars worth of fish pissed me off. I brought them back to the fish store the next day they didnt even give me store credit because they are so cheap. Now I'm left with one blue demsil because it killed its partner. I would get rid of it but its beutiful and adds a touch of color to my tank.

Tags
clown, fight

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com