my clown lost a fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alkalineknot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I took out the anenme out of my tank, and my clown got the snot beat out of him by a damsel. He is banged up pretty bad, but still alive and swimming. He is eating well and acting normal. I moved him to a tank with no fish. Now I am left wondering if he will ever grow his fins back, or if there was a medication i could give him to help the healing process. Thanks for any input

Not to be harsh, but flush that damsel. Especially if it was less than $5. Segregate the hostile fish, not the injured.

They make several conditioners that you can add to speed healing and fin regrowth. Just ask at the LFS and they should be able to show you a couple.

Not to be harsh, but flush that damsel. Especially if it was less than $5.
Or maybe a little less harsh would be to return him to your LFS.
Keep the water quality high and lace his food with a vitamin supplement such as selcon. Clowns are tough, he may heal up just fine.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

The flushing statement would have been out of frustration given I were in his shoes. I wouldn't want to toss $ down a toilet regardless of how much it was. That and if it weren't for the closest FS not accepting fish back/trade/returns/nothing on SW fish - I would drop the hostile in his own tank, or donate him to a friend. Hopefully your clown survives, but given he is still eating, acting for the most part normal -- you may be fortunate.

BTW, quarryshark, what kind of angel is that for your avatar? Do you have that in your tank? Its pretty. :)

That is my P. Maculosus (Map, Red Sea, Half Moon, etc) Angel about a year ago. She has since lost here juvi stripes and doubled in size, great fish. She resides in my 210.

I put him in a new tank because it gave him more room, and he has more room to hide and be safe. In my other tank I have a crab that tries to eat injured fish, and he is just about impossible to catch. I just thought moving the hurt one to a safer less stressfull atmosphere would aide his healing. Thanks for the quick response just in time for me leaving for the fs

Crab Catcher

I had a crab in my 55 for a while. When it began to menace my clown fish, I caught it and release it to the beach where it must have come from (I collected most of my live rock from one stretch of beach after a big south swell a few years ago).

The crab was easy to catch. I just put some shrimp in my net and dangled it above the rock were I had seen the crab before. The crab ran out of hiding and climbed onto the net. All I had to do was lift the net out of my tank, put the crab in a jar, and take it to the beach and let it go.

Ugh. My stripped demsils once attacked and killed my cleaner shrimp all the dude was trying to do was help...I must say losing a 25 dollars cleaner shrimp to less than 6 dollars worth of fish pissed me off. I brought them back to the fish store the next day they didnt even give me store credit because they are so cheap. Now I'm left with one blue demsil because it killed its partner. I would get rid of it but its beutiful and adds a touch of color to my tank.

i hear ya on the blue damsel.got me one in my 29 gallon.absolute dinker he is. attacks me all the time but he adds color to my tank.My dad always refuses to let me chuck him back to the LFS.what do you guys think i could but in my tank in place of the damsel to try n persuade my dad. Check my signature for compatibility

what do you guys think i could but in my tank in place of the damsel to try n persuade my dad.
I really like my Purple Firefish, Very docile but not shy- and extremely colorful.

I had an anemone that was killing my clown, he was all messed up. he was missing fins and has big fleshy wholes where he was getting stung. I got rid of the anemone and my clown is healing up fine.

i'd take that damsel back if I were you........ the guy at my LFS feeds all the fish people bring back for being super aggressive to a frogfish in a showtank

Back
Top Bottom