Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
My copperband butterfly and yellow tank are not eating?!

I got the yellow tang last friday and copperband butterfly last saturday. I've tried feeding flakes, green seaweed, lettuce, broccoli, and brine shrimp but no luck. The yellow tang has nibbled at the flakes a little but didn't really eat anything and the copperband doesn't even look at the food. I am treating them in a 10g Q tank because the butterfly has ICK so they are both probably sick but I'm afraid that after almost a week of not eating and being sick they are going to die soon. Any suggestions?

Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe try some bloodworms or different types of frozen food, a tiny bit at a time? My copper never liked flakes near as much as bloodworms. Actually my copper liked to attack everything that wasn't nailed down. I hope your fish come out OK.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is very unfortunate, especially for the copperband buttefly fish, these fish have an uneven survival record in captivity and alot do not acclimate to home aquariums and now it has ick to worsen the problem.

Well, you definitley need a quick fix to the ick problem. Since you have them in a quarantine tank I highly recommend using copper, if it is not too late it will get rid of the ick fast, some people may not agree with this but you need a quick fix and I believe this is the best way when it comes to urgency.

After the ick problem is solved you will have a better chance of getting both fish to eat. Try using mysid shrimp.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggers
This is very unfortunate, especially for the copperband buttefly fish, these fish have an uneven survival record in captivity and alot do not acclimate to home aquariums and now it has ick to worsen the problem.

Well, you definitley need a quick fix to the ick problem. Since you have them in a quarantine tank I highly recommend using copper, if it is not too late it will get rid of the ick fast, some people may not agree with this but you need a quick fix and I believe this is the best way when it comes to urgency.

After the ick problem is solved you will have a better chance of getting both fish to eat. Try using mysid shrimp.
I've had copper in there for 4 days now I believe. I have mysis shrimp, I think I'll try feeding that to him tonight, I hope he makes it
Old 10-16-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the copperband is almost dead, his one eye is really messed up and he's just about swimming on his side near the top of the water. His tailfin is also frayed up, I thought it was from the yello tank but I tank divider in yesterday and it seems worse today, could something else be affecting the fish that copper wouldn't help cure?

BTW, the yellow tang is still not eating, I dont' see any ick on him, I have no idea what his problem is?
Old 10-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Neither fish is eating yet How long can fish live without food?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
steve-s

Fish can live a few weeks without food but will degenerate over that time and be much more ceceptible to problems.

Have you tried different types of foods as well as galic extract? Garlic can be a potent simulant in fish and will often spark a feeding response. Just a few drops are neede as too much will confuse their senses.

Keep altering the food types until you find one they will eat. Do not rely on the same food over and over again but don't buy out the store either. LIve Brine is going to be a better option for fussy eaters if the mysis and/or frozen brine is not working. When fish are not eating, nutrition is less important. Once the fish are accepting prepared foods they can be weined over to better food types or supplimented with liquid vitamins.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the tang died today and the copperband basically flopping around so I decided to ease his suffering and flush him to. Thanks everyone for your help I"m giving up at this point, I've spend countless hour and an insane amount of money and it's just one problem after another. If anybody in the PA area is interested in a 110G and/or 44G with lights/filters/skimmers and fish/crabs/starfish let me know, it's all for sale.

Tags
butterfly, eat, eating, fly, not eating, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com