My Coral Banded Shrimp Shed. (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang,

I thought some of you may be interested in this. I woke up this morning to find my Coral Banded Shrimp dead....or was it?

I was hoping he was going to shed soon. His color had become less vibrant a few days ago and I was hoping he was not sick. To my suprise I found him sitting just a few inches away from his "skin" this morning!

Here is a very poor photo in case your curious what a CBS skin looks like. I will Take some better ones tonight when the lights are on.

cool stuff rocket, thanks for sharing!
My shrimp are always leaving their clothes laying around too. They are worse than my kids. :roll: :wink:

I would always check for extra whiskers in the tank. My CBS has 6-8" antenna so I can always tell where he is at or when he molts :)

My hermit did that the other day and I thought he was dead. He did try to "bury" the evidence though. Funny that you say yours is a washed out color before he molts because my hermit was bright red and now he is kinda organish after he shed.

most likely... they typically leave it accessable as kinda a defense mechanism. It lures predators in teh wrong direction and gives their new skeleton time to harden.

Yes, plus it is a nutritional snack for another invert.
I have seen my Urchins eat molts on more than one occasion.

I've also read that on occasion the shrimp themselves may eat it. Plenty of things in a tank to munch on a scrumptious snack. =]

Back
Top Bottom