My Crocea Clam suddenly died - any idea why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Folks, I'm looking for some insight please.

220 gallon, mostly softie tank.

specific g 1.025/6
temp 79-81
ph 8.2
alk bet 8.4 and 8 over 4 months
calcium 450
phosp .06
mag 1300

Nitrates - between 10-20 - cannot seem to get them down.

fish - two tangs, (desjardins, hippo), a few small wrasses, pj cardinals, 4-5 sm damsels....2 clowns
zillions (clean up crew) snails, hermits
2 cleaner shrimp

corals - assorted paly, zoa, a few shrooms

3 small (3-7 polyp) acans
1 spectacular duncan (about 10 heads)
beautiful cloves of various color and size
2 small Cabbage leathers
1 Leather toad-stool

all of these are doing nicely

running skimmer, CS2
UV sterliizer
GFO & Carbon (separately)
using RODI water
still have high nitrates -

SO....I put in a biopellet reactor.....

over several (at least 6 weeks) with a very small amount of pellets - no change in nitrates.

a week before leaving for work/vacation, i added 100ml Dr Tims waste away. had a bit of cloudy - turned skimmer back on and did small 30/40 gallon h20 change.

came home to a dead CROCEA clam and a missing paly (who was having a 'baby', a GIGANTIS?) had DISAPPEARED - no trace but the frag/mount -

Everything else was fine! thriving in fact. I'm beginning to think that the bio-pellets and dr tim thing lowered the 02 levels and killed the clam, but it's just a guess after testing everything else i could.

any ideas??

ps. it was a beautiful clam, video of when he was happy. I am pretty heartbroken about it dying.

Besides the paly, I'd say the clam was taken out by pyramid snails. Clams are funny, they look like they are doing fine even if they are slowly wasting away.

I had something similar happen. I started working my Phosphate level down to .05-.07 for my SPS corals and when I got there both my clams died. Everything else looked great.

I have seen some healthy clams in some pretty dubious aquariums doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom