My Damsel's Strange Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have two damsels in my tank. They have been in there for about 2 weeks now. They were doing ok until yesterday. One of them was going along fine, swimming, eating, having a splendid time (or so it seemed) and the other one was pointing straight up and was usually at the top but sometimes it would slide down a little bit. Its nose is just pointed straight up at the top and 75% of the time its right at the surface. It keeps wiggling side-to-side but no other movement for the most part. My other damsel sometimes approachs it and kinda chases it around for a little bit but then gets bored and goes and does its own thing. When I feed them they usually both come and fight over the flakes but now only the active one comes to the top and I haven't spotted the other eating (it is possible it eats but I haven't witnessed it). Right before it started this unusual behaviour, it was being closely chased by the other one. Every now and then, the active one approaches it and either tries to get it to move around or just watches it for a second and then swims off. I have no idea what's going on so if I can get some help here, I would very much appreciate it.

-$imple

I'm sure someone will provide somthing more, but I've noticed when that happens, the one may be sick. The healthy fish normally know that before we do and harrass the sick one. I've had that happen with 3 of the same fish too, where one is the outkast. Were they QT'd before the 2 weeks?

I think you might be right. The inactive one is laying in the corner of the tank on its side. It is still alive though for now. It has been approximately 18 hrs since it began its strange behavior. I'm not sure but I think it might have been at the top because it didnt recieve enough oxgen. That is my assumption although I'm no expert. Please any advice would be helpful and I need it ASAP. I don't want my fish to die. :cry:

It seems more like a territorial dispute where the weaker fish basically resigned itself to death. How large is the tank?

UPDATE:

My tank is a 20 gallon and the damsel died 24 hours after my first post. I have the whole thing photo-documented (sound's sick but I wasn't sure what was going on so I was constantly sending my friend some pictures and 30 second clips). It took a while for my other damsel to get used to being alone. It seemed very depressed.

Back
Top Bottom