Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
My Damsel's Strange Behavior

I have two damsels in my tank. They have been in there for about 2 weeks now. They were doing ok until yesterday. One of them was going along fine, swimming, eating, having a splendid time (or so it seemed) and the other one was pointing straight up and was usually at the top but sometimes it would slide down a little bit. Its nose is just pointed straight up at the top and 75% of the time its right at the surface. It keeps wiggling side-to-side but no other movement for the most part. My other damsel sometimes approachs it and kinda chases it around for a little bit but then gets bored and goes and does its own thing. When I feed them they usually both come and fight over the flakes but now only the active one comes to the top and I haven't spotted the other eating (it is possible it eats but I haven't witnessed it). Right before it started this unusual behaviour, it was being closely chased by the other one. Every now and then, the active one approaches it and either tries to get it to move around or just watches it for a second and then swims off. I have no idea what's going on so if I can get some help here, I would very much appreciate it.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sure someone will provide somthing more, but I've noticed when that happens, the one may be sick. The healthy fish normally know that before we do and harrass the sick one. I've had that happen with 3 of the same fish too, where one is the outkast. Were they QT'd before the 2 weeks?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
I think you might be right. The inactive one is laying in the corner of the tank on its side. It is still alive though for now. It has been approximately 18 hrs since it began its strange behavior. I'm not sure but I think it might have been at the top because it didnt recieve enough oxgen. That is my assumption although I'm no expert. Please any advice would be helpful and I need it ASAP. I don't want my fish to die.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to drewbles99
It seems more like a territorial dispute where the weaker fish basically resigned itself to death. How large is the tank?
"Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed."
-Michael Pritchard
drewbles99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:33 PM   #5

My tank is a 20 gallon and the damsel died 24 hours after my first post. I have the whole thing photo-documented (sound's sick but I wasn't sure what was going on so I was constantly sending my friend some pictures and 30 second clips). It took a while for my other damsel to get used to being alone. It seemed very depressed.

behavior, damsel, strange, strange behavior

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com