My first Casualties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyMonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well folks. I have found my Sea Hare not doing so well. He was just lying there and was not moving. Last night, he passed away it seems. Apparently he had begun to get nasty allready because he stank when I pulled him out, and my Amonia raised up quickly. This morning I noticed my royal gramma hiding oddly and breathing rapidly. Amonia was at .25. I went to buy some water for a water change, he died. A hermit fought me for his body too. Nasty little crab. I tested everything after the water change. Amonia less than .25 but there is some present. I hate the little color code thing. Nitrates less than 5ppm, Nitrite 0. PH was at 8.8. 8O Not sure how to lower it either. I found info on raising ph but none on lowering it. ANy suggestions?

Sry to hear about your losses. Test the pH of your fresh mixed SW it should be 8.0-8.4. Water changes would be the best way to lower it back to normal. Do you run GAC in your Emperor. A dying/dead sea hare releases all kinds of nasty toxins.

Yes. I run carbon in the Emperor. I will change out more water and see if that helps.

sorry to hear about that. I have had an ammonia spike before and some of my fish died too. Doesn't vinegar lower ph?

Back
Top Bottom