My first marine tank, and my fish died in 3 weeks. What did i do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabeChorbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I joined this site seeking advice. Im very new to this hobby. My yellow tang and clown died within 3 weeks of bringing them home and I don't understand because I did everything by the book. I attached a picture of the tank

My setup is a 10 gallon tank with 10 pounds of live rock and live sand. Fluval canister filter. small Powerhead. and heater I used ro water, let the tank fully cycle before adding any fish. throughout the 3 weeks my fish were alive, my water parameters stayed great. ammonia 0. Nitrites 0. nitrates 20. PH 8. Salinity 1.021. temperature 81F. I used no meds. fed 2 twice daily, being careful no to over feed.

I drip acclimated the fish when I got them. I did not quarantine. they ate fine for first 2 weeks and acted normal. the clown one day had a small cut on his side and was acting strange. no white spots that I could see. eventually he quit eating and one day his cut had a purple band around it then he dead next day. found him wedged under a rock. The tang also started acting weird, not eating, also he looked pale over his whole body. no white spots or fin rot, eyes were clear. he was dead this morning. I also have 2 hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp. all seem to be doing fine.

any ideas what I did wrong.

Attachments

• fishtank.jpg
    fishtank.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 166
First thing I see wrong is the tang in a 10 gallon. Most people fuss about them being in 55s, stating they need at least 6 foot tanks. Tang could have easily killed the clown and then died from stress of small confinement IMO

Jesse

Well the yellow tang could of definitely over stressed out and died. A 10g is entirely way to small for that fish. Now the clown I really am not sure. Did you buy them from the same store?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to have a baby yellow tang In a 15 and he couldn't handle it so that could very well be it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the tank was cycled, what could have easily happened was a large fish overwhelming the bacteria in the tank. Big fish = big poop = large nitrate levels that rise quickly. Same thing applies if it wasn't cycled but high amounts of ammonia and nitrites, which are poisonous, taking over the system.

Sadly, a 10 gallon can be quite limited when it comes to stocking. Check out the nano fish section on liveaquaria so you can find things that are more appropriate for a 10 gallon tank.

Well the yellow tang could of definitely over stressed out and died. A 10g is entirely way to small for that fish. Now the clown I really am not sure. Did you buy them from the same store?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought both from petco, about a week apart from eachother

We haven't had the opportunity to discuss if the system was cycled. Was there an ammonia source, like a cocktail shrimp or pure ammonia, put in the system for several weeks until the ammonia and nitrite levels went to 0? Do you have a test kit of your own?

Back
Top Bottom