My fish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim_G

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal saltwater tank that has been set up since July. I am currently running a fluval 406 canister with Phosguard, carbon and chemipure. I also have a sea clone HOB skimmer that I empty 1-2 times a week. Skim mate is very dark. My sg is 1.024 am 0 trite 0 trate 0 kh 12 ph 8.2 temp 79 phosphate .5 calcium 440. 2 months ago all my fish died. They were in the tank for 3 months very happy and healthy. All died at one time overnight. They were a small yellow tang, coral beauty, 2 pajama cardinals. I did. 50% WC and let it sit for a month running the filters. Added 3 green chromis, all died within 24 hours. Went to my LFS and explained the situation, they said do another water change then add a hearty fish.. This weekend I bought another coral beauty, died within 6 hours. I do have coral, rhodactis mushroom, fine grape , a colony of plays, pulsing Xenia and a colony of zoos. They are all thriving, however the zoos have only been opening halfway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix or what the problem may be? I am running 2 x 54w t5 HO bulbs one actinic and one Ocean Sun.

After reading on other posts, I feel it could be marine velvet as soon after introduced to the DT they have very rapid breathing then begin acting lethargic. I drip acclimate for at least 30 minutes before introducing.

After reading on other posts, I feel it could be marine velvet as soon after introduced to the DT they have very rapid breathing then begin acting lethargic. I drip acclimate for at least 30 minutes before introducing.

Test your copper and ammonia

I have 60 lbs of live rock 1 1/2 in deep live sand bed. No copper no ammonia.

I do not, but am going to start a qt tank. I am thinking one of the fish introduced it.. If I run a uv sterilizer will it kill the pathogens/ velvet already in the DT?

I do not but am going to start one this week. I think a fish I purchased my have introduced the problem. My issue now is that I feel the harmful bacteria/ parasites have reproduced and infected my tank.. If I run a uv sterilizer, will it kill the problem?

Never mind that last post greentree. How would u recommend getting rid of the disease in my DT now?

I do not but am going to start one this week. I think a fish I purchased my have introduced the problem. My issue now is that I feel the harmful bacteria/ parasites have reproduced and infected my tank.. If I run a uv sterilizer, will it kill the problem?

I would say water change that's what I did. I don't do uv's cause I think it will also kill the good stuff in the water also but that's me. I never did uv and never will. QT for me bro all day lol.

No I am using tap supplemented with prime. Mix water and sal and let it sit for 24 hrs. I am also going to start switching to rodi water. I am gonna do WC and start qt. I am gonna let tank sit for a few weeks and then qt a hearty fish and see if that makes a difference... Switching topics, my second q was about zoos only opening halfway, they are not melting or dying just not opening fully-- any ideas?

I had this issue. I didn't have enough lighting, updated lighting now they are always open.

No I am using tap supplemented with prime. Mix water and sal and let it sit for 24 hrs. I am also going to start switching to rodi water. I am gonna do WC and start qt. I am gonna let tank sit for a few weeks and then qt a hearty fish and see if that makes a difference... Switching topics, my second q was about zoos only opening halfway, they are not melting or dying just not opening fully-- any ideas?

When last you did a test on you DT and the water after it sits for 24.

Prime takes all metals and chorine/chloramine out of the water. I always test the water after mixing with cheap test strips for sw. I use API liquid tests for the DT and do that every other day. I have also taken the same water to 3 of my LFS and all tests resulted with my results in the first post of the thread.

A uv will not get all of any parasite or illness. It will only get what goes through it thats in the water, not anything on the sand or the rock.

Carey.. I have read a lot of your posts, u seem to have a really good grasp.. Do you have any ideas for my situation? I am trying to gather as much advice as I can so i don't keep wasting money.

Back
Top Bottom