Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

my fish keep dying

Okay, I know that this happens to a lot of beginners. That a lot of people lose fish in the beggining but I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a clarkii clown and a yellow tang that were my first two fish. They have been completely fine and I have never had any problems with them. I tried a few bangaii cardinals and two didn't make it past acclimation and the third died within a week and a half of being introduced to the main tank. Then I got a yellow headed jawfish who was awesome. He has been in the tank for about a month and a half. Well, needless to say I came home from work today and he had died. He seemed to be happy and had made burrows all over the tank. He would switch to different ones depending on his mood. He ate fine and would spend a lot of time people and fish watching. He was so cool! The only thing that was odd was last night he didn't come out as far as he normally would to eat, but he did eat so I just let that go. I am wondering why my first two fish have done just fine but everything I have tried since just seem to keep dying. Should I just wait a few months before trying another fish? Is it the fish I am trying? The jawfish had been doing so well that I thought I was in the clear with him. I am scared to get anymore fish and I kind of feel like just giving up. Any suggestions, hints, tips, advice, anything would be greatly appreciated. I know what you are all thinking right now and that is well what are my readings. Well, my Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia are all 0. My PH is 8.2, my specific gravity is 1.023, and my temp is 78. I also do a 15% water change every week. Help please.

Old 11-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is the tank? How did you find them dead?

Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is a 75 gallon tank. The first two Cardinals just got extremely stressed during acclimation and never made it to the main tank so I guess I can't really count them. The third Cardinal seemed fine for about a week. Then I noticed he started to spend more and more time towards the back of the tank. When I came down one morning he was laying on the floor on the tank. The jawfish was alive last night at feeding and alive this morning before work. When I came back from work I came down to do some of my weekly maintanence stuff. I was going across the tank just looking and checking things out when I saw him belly up on the floor of the tank back in the corner. Does how I find them having anything to do with how they died? Is it some kind of clue?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Maybe the fish were sick from the beginning. How did you acclimate?

Got a QT tank? As you add new fish, there could be trouble if sickness spreads into the new - with healthy fish.

What part of MD you in?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a qt tank which is as far as the first cardinals made it. I was just caught off guard because the jawfish has been doing so well for about a month and a half. He seemed very happy.

I live in Waldorf and work in Clinton. Any suggestions on a fish store? As of right now I use Petco for small things like food and accessories (veggie clips, feeding ring, etc.). I travel about two hours away for everything else.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Been to Roozens on Allentown Rd. Good stuff and some junk too. I'm 5 min from there.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I haven't tried there. I work on Malcolm Road so that's close. Is that were you get your fish?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Yep. There and a little shop in Ft Washington, rt 210, Indian Head Hwy.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Fish are often caught using unsafe methods like cyanide which can damage our marine friends indefinitely. You may want to try another LFS and if your results are the same we can work from there. Good luck. Also, online purchases from site such as liveaquaria.com are highly advocated

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com