Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Fish Wish List (Reef)

As my cycle winds down I'm in the process of making a wish list for my 120g tank. I plan (oh ... some day in the future when I get good at this) to have a reef tank but for a while it will be FOWLER (plus inverts).

My wish list looks like this:
Fish (Adult Size in Inches)
Coral Beauty (4.5)
Yellow Longnose Butterfly (6)
Scooter Blenny (3)
Royal Gramma (3.5)
Percula Clown (3)
Blue Chromis Damsel x 3 (3)
Spotted (Pajama) Cardinal x2 (3)
Tassled Filefish (12)
Zebra/Dwarf Lionfish (7)
Filimented Wrasse x3 (4)
Golden Wrasse x2 (5)
Sixline Wrasse x3 (3)

How many of these can I actually keep in my 120? Are there some that you'd steer clear of more so than others?

I don't plan on doing anything fast (my tank isn't even done cycling but I want to get my filter media in my wet/dry so that it can start to colonize for my QT tank -- which begs the question of how long it has to sit in there to get a good colony going), but I do want a good plan for what we'll want in the tank so that we know who to add first, who to add together, etc!

Thanks!
Phyllis

Old 11-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #2

Thatr dwarf on will eat anything half his size so be careful. Skip the butterfly, tilefish and the scooter blenny, they will starve out. Everything else seems OK just drop the total number of wrasses to 1 each and you should be okay. Just make sure you have good liverock for the pygmy angel and a good skimmer for the biooad.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The butterfly was chosen for his coloring. I love that bright Yellow. Would a yellow tang be ok to add to the list if I took out the Butterfly, filefish and the blenny (why would these starve)? I was thinking (and didn't put it in writing) that I would go with one set of wrasses, these are just the three types that I liked for their coloring, behavior, etc. An interesting idea to use one of each. Would they be happy like that?

So sad to have to bail on the dwarf. I've always loved the look of those little buggers!

Phyllis

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
yes you will need to bail on the lion if you want to keep half of whats on your list. I was looking at your list and my first impression was thats way to many fish but then I saw it was just a list of possible inhabitants.

For more info on individual species compatiblity please look at our compatiblity matrix http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php If that link does not work its on our home page on the left.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
The Butterfly is not a good choice because it is difficult to keep alive.

The Dwarf Lionfish will eat the Perc Clown the wrasses The Coral Beauty angel, THe Cardnials, and the Damsels. so, obviously that won't work out well.

I would Say that It would be Ok to add the tang, but the Cardinals will get a bit freaked. THey are rather timid creatures.

I would also have two Perc Clowns. Clowns do MUCH better when Kept in pairs.

You do not want to overpopulate your tank because it will cause serious problems. You can only really keep 24 inches of fish in a 120 gallon tank. (vastly different than Fresh water)

IF you want an alternitive to a tank or a butterfly and have a fish with a nice yellow coloration, look into a yellow watchman Goby. It is a nice bottom dwelling fish. (I like bottom dwellers best of all.)

Give us a revised list!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you could go with a lemon peel angel for yellow color, but you may have to scrap the coral beauty. i dont know if the two angels would get along. your tank may be big enough for both though.

steve r
Old 11-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ick factor of the Tang makes me want to steer clear of them (as well as wanting the yellow early on) but the Lemon Peel sounds like it gets aggressive as well as being a little difficult to keep. We were looking for peaceful, easy to keep, reef safe fish when we made up the list to narrow down from. Not that it matters as I'm out of water anyway!

I've revised my list to:
Coral Beauty/Flame Angel (4.5)
Royal Gramma (3.5)
Percula Clown x2 (3)
Blue Chromis Damsel (3)
Spotted (Pajama) Cardinal x2 (3)

That gets me to 23" (whew narrowing this list is HARD). What factor does my wet dry w/sump and 145# of lace/gulf/keys rock play in the equation? Do these equal each other out or can I have less fish because of the rock? More fish because of the sump? What if I added a refugium (not that I know how I'd work that into the plumbing, but I'm looking for options ) I think I'm going to have to start planning my 300 gallon tank because I want one of everything! Limiting to 24" is really hard.

Phyllis

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I highly recommend the sixline wrasse - it's probably my favorite fish. He's completely non-aggressive, always stays close to the rocks, and loves swimming through all the little nooks and crannies you've created for him. Rather than eat like a pig (like the rest of the fish), he'll usually select one shrimp, grab it, and carry it to some private spot behind the rocks. I've been told he eats harmful worms in the tank also.

Even though they aren't large, they really do have a lot of personality.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Dont let ich scare you away from a tang. A problem with ich reoccuring on a tang in a tank is an early indicator that there is something wrong with the tank vs just a fish that is ich prone.

I have had a powder blue tang, a very suceptable ich fish, and its only gotten ich once in 4 years. And that was when it was first introduced into a new tank that had a problem with its sump pump and was putting microbubbles into the water. I have had a yellow for going on two years now with no sign of ich aswell.

I like your newly revised list. You might want more chromis though as they are a schooling fish. I would say its save to put three chromis in the tank with the existing fish list you have.

Quote:
What factor does my wet dry w/sump and 145# of lace/gulf/keys rock play in the equation? Do these equal each other out or can I have less fish because of the rock? More fish because of the sump? What if I added a refugium (not that I know how I'd work that into the plumbing, but I'm looking for options Very Happy) I think I'm going to have to start planning my 300 gallon tank because I want one of everything! Limiting to 24" is really hard.
The wet/dry will give you additional filtration as well as the live rock but filtration is not the only factor with the number of fish one can sucessfuly keep in a SW tank. Other factors include overall tank space, oxygen levels, ability for fish to establish terrories. A 120gal tank is a nice size tank and will aford your fish a fair amount of swimming room. Expecially since we are talking about all small fish. Each will be able to establish their own areas so territoral disputes will be minimal. Your overall selection is fairly peaceful albeit almost all SW fish are more agressive than the average FW counterpart.

While a wet/dry will increase the operating oxygen levels allowing one to sustain more fish should the power go out the wet/dry would be out of operation and therefor its oxygenation benfits would be lost. If this happens on an overstocked tank your fish will quickly sufficate due to lack of oxygen in the water. So this is yet another reason to play it safe and 'understock' a tank vs overstock it.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I proudly showed my husband the fish list that we came up with and he *freaked*! There are no BIG fish, there aren't ENOUGH fish. Then he proceeded to find 1001 resources on the net that say that you can have 1/2" of fish per gl of saltwater or 2" of small fish in 4 gl and 4" of large fish in 10gl, etc. Basically he's saying that we can have 40-60" of fish in our 120. I don't think I'm going to win this battle (until some fish have paid the price)! There are too many places on the net that advocate what is considered here to be "overstocking"! Including the book "SW for Dummies" (like anyone should consider THAT a resource?!), www.liveaquaria.com, etc. Any thoughts?

I'm forcing the slow and patient hand (we just put the filter media from the QT tank-to-be into the sump -- how long does this need to be in there?) so it will be a WHILE before we have much in the way of fish in there but that will only last so long!

We plan to put our system on a UPS to keep it up and running in the event of a power failure (and have a generator if need be). I can probably up the LR content another 30# and we can probably figure out how to get a refugium in there to add to the water table. Basically he's looking at this HUGE and EMPTY tank and is just dismayed at the thought of having very few, very tiny fish in it!

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com