My Fish Wish List :: Revisited :: Chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here was the list that we had all worked out the last time we went through this:

Yellow Tang ( 8 )
Royal Gramma (3.5)
Percula Clown x2 (3)
Blue Chromis Damsel x3 (3)
Spotted (Pajama) Cardinal x2 (3)

and then the possible Goby of some sort for the bottom.

The tank is now 6w old and holding steady at 0 0 & 10 so we made the decision to head off to the LFS.

While we were there I went to start off with my Blue Chromis and the LFS guy was like EEEK! You don't want those in your tank! People usually end up just flushing them, blah blah blah. Picking on other fish, blah blah blah... SO I panicked and ended up getting the cardinals and a yellow tang.

What's the real scoop on the chromis? Are they really annoying? I've read some positive reviews from people here with the ones that they have!

And how big a mistake did I get putting the yellow tang in there now? The good news is that he seems pretty happy in there so far. He swims back and forth around the tank, usually behind the rocks at this point with an ocassional venture across the front of the tank.

Chromis are cool fish. Very active and are a great addition to a community Reef Tank.

I started out with 3 and still have'em. They School too.

They are not the most colorful SW fish and cost about 5 bucks so
I guess thats why your LFS guy gave'em no respect

If your looking for Hardy, friendly, and Active fish I'd recommend them.
Especially if your just starting out in the hobby.

BTW: how big is your tank ?

My Chromi shave never bothered a thing, adn really add some life. They serve as a great "dither" fish, a fish to get some new guys in and comfortable because they are so friendly and active.

Hope your Cardinals are eating.

Yeah honestly you would have been better off starting with the chromis... they're hardier.... but I started early with a Yellow Tang and that sucker has gone through all of it....

As far as the goby I would recommend either a Lawnmower Blennie or a Psychadelic goby.... people say they'll starve but mine eats any kinda frozen food I put in the tank and has been doing VERY well.....

I'd skip the entire damsel family. Those you will be wanting out of your tank eventually. Chromis are nice. Also, don't go for a dragonette in a fresh tank. Finding one that will accept frozen food is rare. You'll starve 100 before you find one.

The chromis are great fish. I'd remember that LFS rep and read up or ask here instead about fish choices rather than count on him. One strike I'd say.

With your lineup of intended fish - none of them in any way resembling the body shape or color of the tang, you're most likely alright putting him in there first IMO. Still be prepared for some show of territorialism towards new fish. It could still happen. It may not. But yellows can be agressive.

Your LFS guy is a bit misleading. He most likely went "EEEEK" because he would rather sell you some $20 fish instead of some $6 fish. Trust me, blue-green reef chromis are a great fish! They school together, add great color and movement to your tank. Agreed, these should have been the first addition to your tank as they are the least expensive and the most hardy. The yellow tang should have gone in last due to it's potention for agression. Go on back and get the chromis, you will love them...Lando

Yeah, I'd also say get the chromis anyway. But now since you'll be moving past your first fish, and if you haven't already, you might consider your QT setup. :soap:

Adding one sick fish to established stocks - with lots of live rock equals heartache. :roll:

And of course, gotta go slow when adding fish so as to let the beneficial bacteria grow faster than you fish population.

That LFS is on about strike 3 in my book as it is. Unfortunately they're the best stocked around (even if they are nimrods). The goof is that the fist guy I talked to a few weeks ago actually recommended the Chromis and allayed our fears of it being agressive. I should have just went with my plan.

We have the QT tank all ready. The filter media has been in the wet/dry (submerged) for 2 weeks now. We have the tank, heater, "lights" and a nice collection of PVC that we're going to put in it. We're going to wait a week or two and then pick up fish for the QT tank. We're definitely going to be building up the tank slowly. Right now there are 3 fish in there. In a couple of weeks we'll put in those 3 damsels into QT :)

Lando, you're probably right. I thought maybe the total price of fish was the same, but as it turns out I spent about 10$ more (isn't the best interest of the fish worth more than 10$?!) on fish by starting with the tang. And then of course if it bites the dust...

AustinsDad, Thanks for reassuring me that the tang isn't going to throw out the newcomers when they arrive! I must have read 3 posts just after that tang went in I read 3 or 4 posts that said that the tang should go in last! Ack!

Macatua, why wouldn't my cardinals be eating? Are they difficult to get to eat? What's their favorite food if I find they aren't munching on the regular fare?

Nothing like the best laid plans getting a wrench thrown in by the LFS! I need to just ignore them when they talk. These are the same people who told me to throw fish in 2 days after the water went in and that they'd never heard of an aptasia. *sigh*

Thanks gang!!

Some are definately better than others. Some knowingly give bad advice, some are just mis-informed. I have a small store here with an overprotective type owning it. But he's not real well informed about some things, like names of what he's selling. I bought a pair of skunk cleaners from him a long time ago and had to explain what I was talking about as he'd never heard them called that. Last time I was there I commented on the nice porcelain crab he had sitting in an anemone. He said "That's not a porcelain crab. That's an anemone crab". Then he sold me a "sebae" clown that was obviously a clarkii. But he's good intentioned. On the other hand I still buy from larger chains if the price difference is too large and I try to help the employees out from time to time since they're generally clueless.

Phyl, still keep a watch on that tang. How big is he? If larger, I'd really watch him for agressiveness. Like I said, it may happen or it may not. Mine picked on a foxface rabbitfish (same color, similar body). Sometimes he would nip at my brittle star leg. Just once every once in while, it seemed to show who was boss. The other fish were just fine with him as quite a few came after he did.

Back
Top Bottom