My fish with ich died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fish with ich died. I have two clowns that do not have ich. My question is, since my clowns seem strong enough to not get the ich does that mean it will run its course? If they dont get it then won't it die off? So when I get new fish I want to feel safe that tank is clear (I am not getting any new fish anytime soon).

If it was ich, then it means its still there. Your fish could continue to fight it off... or not. No way of knowing until the ich shows its head again. Even if the fish can fight it off now, when you add another fish, the stress level in the tank will go up for a while until everyone gets used to each other. When things get stressed, the immune system usually doesn't work as well as usual - and they're wide open for the ich to take hold again.

The only way to really feel safe the tank is clear is remove the fish from the tank and treat them for ich. While that's going on, leave the main tank fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the ich and kill it off.

Here's a good article: Marine ICK - everything you need to know

Kurt I have a question related to Ich. (Sorry I'm hijacking your thread Bige) If a fish gets white spot in my tank then dies but none of the other fish get it, 8 weeks later will the Ich still be there?

Michell read Kurts post again, He says it will still be there...

You and most all FW & SW people wish it was that way...I sure did. ;)

Kurt I have a question related to Ich. (Sorry I'm hijacking your thread Bige) If a fish gets white spot in my tank then dies but none of the other fish get it, 8 weeks later will the Ich still be there?

Yup - assuming the white spot was ich.

The one small bright spot in all the reading I've done is that if you don't have any visible ich breakout in your tank for a year, AND during that time you have not introduced ANY new fish, if there WAS ich in the tank in the beginning it is most likely died out at the end of that year period. That article I linked to has a minor discussion regarding that aspect of things.

Thanks everyone. I guess we have all had the same problems. Great articles btw. So I guess there won't be any new aquisition pics from me anytime soon. Now I need a qt tank article. I was in the process when the little guy died.

Back
Top Bottom