Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Flame Angel died.

Hey people, I'm new to the board and had a question about my Flame Angel. A couple days ago I purchased a Flame Angel from a well known, and well trusted aquatics store. It seemed to be doing fine, acclimated pretty well and was even grazing some live rock. All seemed fine until I woke up this morning and it was dead. It had no signs of illness or that it was attacked. I checked my water and everything was perfect, Ammonia level was perfect, Nitrite and Nitrate was in the safe zone and the ph was around 8.1.

I've read recently that in the past few years people have seen these angelfish dying in less than a month. Most people are blaming either the collecting method or the shipping. Should I just chalk it up to that, or can anyone give me an explanation?

Old 02-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe the cyanide collected fish tend to die in a short time. You could ask your lfs if they know how the fish were collected.

By safe zone for your nitrites, did you mean 0? If not, even a small amount of nitrite is harmful to your fish.

Sorry for your loss.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, It's at 0.

And I've heard about the cyanide usage, it really pisses me off. And it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't paid $50 dollars for it, but it was a beautiful fish. Thanks anyway I do appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
There are tank raised specimen available around the net. Last I looked they were pretty expensive to this point.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any specific one? I've checked out www.saltwaterfish.com and www.liveaquaria.com. Both look pretty trustworthy, but I'm still kind of sceptacule about ordering over the internet.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have never ordered fish online, but I have ordered inverts from liveaquaria.com
Very good company IMO, I was very pleased with the service.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i talked to a LFS owner that i trust and he said that the "industry" has pretty much run the cyaninde style collectors out of work. there are very few that collect with cyanide now. fish are mostly obtained by shocking them with a strobe light.

steve r
Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really hope that's true, steve. I guess I'll blame the death on stress more than anything.

One other thing, I have a Carribean Flower Anemone in my tank, you don't suppose it could have stung the fish do you? I'm not sure if Angels are resistant to that sort of thing.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
My beloved Firefish that's 4 days old died last night. I can't figure it out what happened. I check all the perameters that morning and all were in their proper ranges.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
it may have been bullied to death by another inhabitant of the tank, if you have a blenny they seem to stress out certain fish.

Thats the only logical thing i can think of if all parameters are right and acclimation was done correctly too.

Tags
angel, die, died, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com