My Flame Angel died last night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmye4fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I fed them last night they seemed fine. Only thing different is I added 2 new Korila's power heads. I went from one large one to two smaller ones on both ends. Haven't checked the water parameters in a week. I will do that when I get home from work. Could he additional power head or extra flow have caused its death?

Need way more info to come up with a good guess. Water parameters are a big question. What size tank? What other fish? How long had you had the angel? Was it eating fine all along? Did it display any signs that something was wrong?

Odds are, it was not the new flow.

Need way more info to come up with a good guess. Water parameters are a big question. What size tank? What other fish? How long had you had the angel? Was it eating fine all along? Did it display any signs that something was wrong?

Odds are, it was not the new flow.

Yeah I check the water weekly and will do so when I get home. It's a 75 gallon. The other fish are 2 small clowns (about 1.5 inches) small blue tang (about 2 inches) and an engineer goby. I have had the angel right at 4 months and it has ate and acted fine since the day I put it in the tank. The tang and angel were always together and never showed signs of aggression towards each other. I also know the tang is too small for the tank. We are planning on moving in about a year and I was going to put this 75 in the master bedroom and get a larger tank between 150-250 for the living room and that's where the tang will go eventually.

My wife just sent me these. She hasn't done the phosphates or salinity yet.

image-1303244904.jpg

image-836561969.jpg

image-2553056636.jpg

image-3931885913.jpg

My wife just textd me saying she also hasn't seen our little blue tang all morning either. I just don't get it. The clowns and engineer goby seem fine she said.

Nitrates look high. If they have been high for long, that could be the problem. If the Tang is not around, it would be odd to lose two fish at about the same time you added something new. Any chance you had something on your hands or arms that contaminated the tank?

Well the tang is fine. It's just hiding in one of her holes. The tang and angel were always together. Do fish grieve? I can't imagine what could have been on my hands or arms that could have cause a fish to die but I guess it could have happened. Might have been a little whiskey?

The nitrates are usually 10-20. I asked on another forum before finding this one and was told with the fish and other creatures I have in the tank it wasn't bad. I do know a couple times when my wife had to feed them I found out she would just drop a frozen cube in the tank. I always thaw it out then drain the liquid off before feeding them. Sucks to have lost the angel, but I'm glad I didn't lose them both.

Regardless of tank, its good to try and keep nitrates as close to zero as possible. Long term exposure to them does not do anything any good. As for the angel...if everything else looks okay, it might have just died a natural death. I've heard that some are captured using chemicals that harm them. Easier to catch, but they end up not living as long due to that.

Well apparently their is a problem. The tang isn't doing so good. She's been hiding in the rocks for 2 days. I can barely see her and she's breathing really fast. I did a 40 gallon WC yesterday. Hope that helps. She hasn't ate in 2 days either.

Beyond the rapid breathing, is anything else going on? Any signs of anything not looking normal? Are your waters parameters any better after the water change?

Yes the PH came down to 10 and the salinity is up to 1.025 instead of 1.023.

Yes one powerhead is rippling the surface and the other goes from one corner and bounces off the front glass about the middle of the tank.

I did have a cyan bloom that happened all of a sudden too. Very strange to me but I'm sure it all stems from something. It's just weird that all this started within 12 hours of me adding the 2 new powerheads (vs just one).

I garentee it's what happen to my fish I had 6 fish die on me in a week my lfs said its fluke which is a gill parasite and most of the time you won't see any symptoms but some times you'll see the lighter fish turn a dark brown which means there about to die and all my fish were breathing very heaven before that too! Idk how to get rid of it my lfs gave me medication but it didn't do ****

For flukes, it's freshwater dips (try every other day three times). if that clears it up, do a forth and stop. if it's still around, Formalin dips should do the trick. Since they are worms, they can live a while without hosts, so I've seen 10 weeks fallow DT used as a minimum...some people say 16 weeks just to be sure. If you don't do the fallow tank, you can assume they are still in there, so your fish will come down with them again after being reintroduced to the DT.

Most parasites, including ick, attach to the gills first because they lack a slime coating. That causes the fish to breath fast before parasites are obvious on the body.

Back
Top Bottom