My gramma has ick, no qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
General rule of thumb for me is not to add ANYTHING to my DT until I know that I've erradicated whatever caused the problem for the sick fish...to each their own, and I'm likely overcautious, but that's how I run my ship :)

Good luck - I've had mixed results fighting off ich (mostly in freshwater environments).

I (sort of) have a plan but i also have a few questions
i plan to buy a 10 g filter and heater tomorow
the gramma looks like he has hours to live
could i A) Could i take my bio wheel and non used saltwater to put my fish in
B) Accept the Gramma's death and cycle a qt for the clowns because they will eventualy get it but show no signs now

zacheyp said:
I (sort of) have a plan but i also have a few questions
i plan to buy a 10 g filter and heater tomorow
the gramma looks like he has hours to live
could i A) Could i take my bio wheel and non used saltwater to put my fish in
B) Accept the Gramma's death and cycle a qt for the clowns because they will eventualy get it but show no signs now

Well if there's no filter or heater on the QT then there's no sence putting him in now. Put the biowheel on your DT now if its not already on it. Get your heater tomorrow and see where he's at.

i havent set up a qt tank yet, which water would you use?

Well since you'll be treating the QT it doesn't really matter which water you use. You do however want to put the biowheel on the DT asap. If at all possible move some LR or even rubble into the QT also so it doesnt cycle.

i see, how can i ensure my inverts and corals in the other tank wont go through a cycle. if i move water in the qt from the dt, wont there still be ich because i thoufht the treatnment only treats fish not the water

zacheyp said:
i see, how can i ensure my inverts and corals in the other tank wont go through a cycle. if i move water in the qt from the dt, wont there still be ich because i thoufht the treatnment only treats fish not the water

Once you've treated the ich in he QT, DO NOT put the water back in the DT. Throw it out. Your DT has already cycled, why would it cycle again?

zacheyp said:
if i have no filter

Ok, sorry I wasn't understanding you. I thought you had a biowheel just for the QT. If you're buying a filter tomorrow. Put the new one on your DT and the one that's on your DT on the QT. Your LR in the DT will keep everything in check and the biowheel going on the QT will have established bacteria. Crisis averted lol.

good idea, i will do half used water half new water
would you add live rock and sand

last 2 questions
after the six weeks will i be able to put that live rock back in
also which ich treatment would you reccomend

zacheyp said:
last 2 questions
after the six weeks will i be able to put that live rock back in
also which ich treatment would you reccomend

I've never had or dealt with ich. Honestly don't know too much about it. You'll have to do some research and determine which route you want to go. Copper or hyposalinity. If you go the copper route I'd be careful about adding the LR back. Might want to give it the old vinegar bath. Hopefully someone who has experience with it will chime in and answer your questions a little better.

Hyposalinity was pretty easy. I started back in September and went for about 6 weeks. It sucked for me because I didn't have a cycled QT, but I managed to stay on top of the ammonia and my fish survived :)

Back
Top Bottom