My hammer is fading on one end

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am confused. My hammer is doing great on one end. healthiest its ever been & on the other side it is fading back and shrinking?? I do have it on a slight angel as in up and down. Could it just be slipping down hill?? What do I do to try & get it healthy again?? My phosphates got to 1.0 but are back down now.

Which end is shrinking back? The higher or lower end. Could simpley be a light exposure problem. You should also consider how the coral is positioned in relation to the corals around it. Chemical warfare can be just as much a concern.

How are the rest of your LPS corals doing (if any)? Water specs? Pic?

Cheers
Steve

It is the high end that is not doing so well but the angle is really not that great. I have no other corals by it. There is a small flower pot about 4 inches away... This morning it has a brown slimy film and has clearly lost more ground then last night. Should I try an idodine dip?? I do not have a QT tank..

There is a small flower pot about 4 inches away... This morning it has a brown slimy film and has clearly lost more ground then last night. Should I try an idodine dip?? I do not have a QT tank..

Move the flowerpot or move the hammer. 4" is still fairly close and at night I suspect the flowerpot and hammer are going to war with stinging sweepers. The happer appers to be losing the battle. Remove as much of the brown jelly as you can via a syphon. If the one side is going down hill fast you might have to frag the damaged part off the coral to save the entire thing.

I would also suggest getting a good marine vitamin that is high in liquid vitamin C. It will help the coral heal faster as well as aiding any other coral resist the brown jelly bacteria that is affecting the hammer. I have found vita-chem works well.

Be sure the nitrates and phosphates are as low as possible. This arcticle should help some:
Corals and Bacterial Disease

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom