My Heni has a hollow dorsal fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got 2 new Henis a week ago. One is larger than the other and has been harassing the smaller one since in the QT. The smaller one has been hiding from the larger one and only ventures out when I place my fat head next to the tank glass. He swims around a bit then is chased back into his sanctuary.

I noticed his large dorsal fin appears hollow in the middle. My instinct was to move him into the main where he can be free of harassment. Since moving him into the main 24 hours ago he seems much more extroverted swimming around albeit s-l-o-w-l-i-y. The YT checks up on him from time to time but the Heni seems uninterested.

Is his hollow dorsal fin a concern or something that will take care of itself?

Thx

Spin

I'm not familiar with Henis. Do they typically tolerate or turn agressive on thier own species? It is possible that a move to a larger tank will reduce agression between the two, but it is likely the dominant one will pick up where he left off when you move him into the main tank.

Fin damage can heal over time, with a good diet and excelent water conditions, but it won't heal if he keeps getting picked on.

The small one died in the main 3 days after placement. He wasn't eating and just listing around. I guess that damged dorsal was too much for him.

The big one is still in the QT and doing fine. Guess he's not missing the small one. I'd like to get him a replacement mate but am leary now that he'll torture any new Heni.

Spin

Back
Top Bottom