Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Koran Angel has Ich

Yeah, pretty much right after i got him, he broke out in white spots on the very tips of his back fins and on the top of his body. It doesn't seem to be a massive breakout but it's bothering him for sure as he likes to stick his back fins in the powerheads and let the water rush over the white spots.

So, i set up my qt tank today (something i should have done a long time ago), and i'm going to try hyposaline treatment tomorrow. My qt tank is a 10 gallon with hang on the back filtration, heater, about 1.01 salinity and some rocks and a cup for him to hide in. I filled up the qt halfway with water from the display tank and the other half from treated tap water. I'm going to try hypo with him for a week or two and hopefully it cleans him up.

Is there anything else I'm missing since i'm a noob? stupid Ich.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

updated profile

and, i haven't used any meds except a generic ich med. None of the other fish have acted agressively towards him, and i've only had him for about 1-2 weeks.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hypo is a good route to go. I suggest a SG of 1.008-1.009 and a duration of 4weeks. Keep in mind, you will need to bring down the SG slowly so you may be loking at 6wks in QT. Honestly, the ick may have come on due to a space issue. This fish require a minimum tank size of 135gal. Cramped quarters can cause stress which will lead to infections or parasitic infestations. May be time to consider a return trip to the LFS?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

but it's ok to stick it in a 10 gallon aquarium for 6 weeks???

I know my tank isn't big enough. I guess i was hoping that since it's a small juvenile, i could keep him for a while until i ran into problems with him. I want to upgrade to a bigger tank but that's just not going to happen for a while. But in the meanwhile, i'm sick of buying a bunch of *edit* damsals and hawkfish just because my tank is too small. Live and learn i guess.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
but it's ok to stick it in a 10 gallon aquarium for 6 weeks???
Short-term while treating for the parasite, yes.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I feel your pain Zenn ... my fish are just getting over ich and my poor tang who loves to swim and is usually in 150 gallons is stuck in a small 30 for treatment but he seems to be doing ok he just looks like he is pacing whenever anyone in near the tank and he gets excited
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I currently have 2 clowns, a Powder Blue, and a Large Naso in a 30g qt for ich. This Saturday will be 6 weeks in qt. I treated them for ich using cupramine, and am leaving the main tank fallow for 8 weeks. They are doing great..

Long term health of your fish is the goal. A short term medicated/hypo qt will be very beneficial to the long term health of the fish. On the other hand as this fish grows larger it will need alot more swim room to keep it healthy. Consider maybe upgrading as soon as possible.

Please note that I suggest a bigger qt because you will need to qt ALL your fish for ich even though they may not show signs. The main tank will need to remain fallow/fishless for a period of 6 to 8 weeks.

As Lando noted, you will need to gradually bring the salinity down over a period of time. You will also need a refractometer if you do not have one...

You sound like a very responsible hobbiest! Kudos....

Hope all goes well!

PS. Qt all new arrivals before putting them in the main...

Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what if you don't bring the SG down slowly? What are the possible problems?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shock = Stress = Death

Basically you would have an acclimation death..
Old 07-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

when you do a hypo treatment, also keep an eye on your hardness (Kh) because the first time I did hypo I didn't know this and I killed all my fish anyway! You can always buffer if you have to.

Tags
angel, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com