My mangrove is getting soft, dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ausfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.

I have a 30g reef with a 15g display refugium.

The way it is setup the red mangrove seed will receive 1-2 hours of direct natural sunlight a day and as much daylight as the day lasts. It sits under a 4500K refugium light, about 8,5 hours every day.

I got it about 5-6 weeks ago and the 'trunk' was hard, just like wood. Now over the last couple of weeks one of the leaves (it has 2, about 1,5cm each) started getting brown and the trunk is getting soft, more like chewing gum than wood.

Since I got it it didn't grow at all.
I am wondering if it is adjusting to the move and the growth stunted or if that is a sign that it might die on me.

I did read just before that I have to keep my magnesium levels high so when I get home tonight I will check that.

Any other thoughts?

cheers

Are the roots buried in? Ive heard that they need to be planted in substrate like miracle mud. Samething happened to mine but i had no substrate in my fuge. Also heard you have to occasionally spray the leaves down to keep them moist.

Well I had it in substrate but it wasn't happy so I built a contraption to suspend it with the roots out in the open.

I know plants shouldn't have their roots exposed to light but My reasoning was an article that described how to get a mangrove to grow 'stilt roots', the kind you see in a tidal area.

I do spray the leaves every day.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Back
Top Bottom