Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Moorish Idol Died :(

Please what I dont need right now is somebody to tell me, I told you so. I purchased this fish knowing better, and pressured all at the same time. I really loved my fish, and never saw it coming. It was 1 day shy of 5 weeks in qt. I came home, everything looked fine. I fed him some nori, which he hogged down like normal. 2 hrs later he was dead. I dont know what happened. Here is my water parameters. PH 8.2 Ammonia .25 Nitrite 5.0 Nitrate 10. I know these levels were elevated, but this is what I had to fight the whole time they were in qt. I made a water change 2 days ago. There was no hard breathing, and the other fish are just fine...I think. I guess it died of Moorish Idol in the home aquarium syndrome. I feel aweful, I killed this fish, Not only a fish, my favorite little buddy. My first response was to give it all up, but I love this hobby too much. I guess we all have had our share of greif in this hobby. I hope I didnt mess up, but I took the other 3 fish out of qt and put them back into the main. They were in qt for ich in the main for 4 weeks 6 days.
I hope this was enough. Well thanks for listening.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: My Moorish Idol Died :(

Sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
feel aweful, I killed this fish, Not only a fish, my favorite little buddy. My first response was to give it all up, but I love this hobby too much. I guess we all have had our share of greif in this hobby. I hope I didnt mess up, but I took the other 3 fish out of qt and put them back into the main. They were in qt for ich in the main for 4 weeks 6 days.
I hope this was enough. Well thanks for listening.
I don't think anyone in the hobby can claim they did not make an impulse purchase or had an animal die on them. The important part is that we learn from our mistakes and hopefully not repeat them. Sharing our information is a good step in the right direction. It helps those who may not be informed make the right choices.

As far as your other fish, I do not think you'll have any problems after that long of a treatment. It usually is best to remove the med and allow the fish time in the QT (14 days) afterwards though to be sure there are no re-occurances. Hopefully the worst is passed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear the bad news, Rev. For what its worth, I do not think you did anything wrong. The situation with your Idol sounds consistant with the experiences of a lot of others who have tried to keep this fish. From what I have read thses fish seem to be doing great and then all of the sudden they just up and die, no warning. I would like to think that it survived longer with you then it would have at the LFS. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. I am sorry that is did not work out, there were a lot of people (myself included) pulling for you on this one. How is everything else doing? Lando
Old 07-06-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Steve. I quit using the med. about 10 days ago. The fish that are left, showed no signs of ich to start with. I will never get another Idol, there was only one Gill for me. Too much heartache, when you lose them.

During the qt process I lost the Moorish Idol, and a Yellow Tang. I am a bad daddy! :|

Thanks Steve. :|
Old 07-06-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Lando and Fluff, I appreciate your kind remarks. I hope that the idol in my hands did live longer. It brings me somewhat peace of mind.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm so sorry Rev. At least you got to love him till the end.

And there is some comfort in knowing he's gone to a better place.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

that sux rev sorry
CPR Bak Pak Protein skimmer
Rena 200 watt heater
T-5 Ligihting
(2) 54 watt
(2) 36 watt
Water General RO+DI
(4) Homade Moonlights LED 470nm
87# Live Rock Gulf, Keys, Bali
80# Crushed Coral with Aragonite
(2) Percula Clownfish
(1) 3 Spot Domino Damselfish
(2) Yellowtail Damselfish
(2) Sargent Major Damselfish
(1) Choclate Chip Starfish
(3) Brittle Stars
Lots of Snails and Hermit Crabs (Not Identified)
(5) Crab (Not Identified)
(2) Black Urchin
(10) Dwarf Red tipped Hermit crabs
(7) Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
(9) Mexican Turbo Snails
(3) Peppermint Shrimp
Lots of other stuff (Not Identified)
divemasterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Sorry for your loss, I've had some bad experiences in this hobby as well but like Steve said, we learn from our mistakes and things will get better! I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, these fish are very hard to care for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
And there is some comfort in knowing he's gone to a better place.
I sometimes think of all my deceased pets hanging out telling stories of their lives together
Old 07-06-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo the issue is more of the collectors catching and selling these fish period !! rev my girlfriend bought me a 4 spot butterfly which was eating great & growing and one day out of the blue gone !! was swimming like it was a stunt pilot loop after loop !! i did all i could keeping him as long as i could but another fish that shouldnt be sold !! if i see a pet store selling such fish they no longer get my money period now i keep marine fish book in my car and find read about every purchase

Tags
die, died, moor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com