My new fish is a bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milesman222

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So this is odd. My new purple dotty back is a bully towards my already established clown fish and even yellow tang at times. I got him at my LFS they told me he would get along and that he was 5 years old. Maybe he is just a grumpy senior citizen. Anyway, I just ordered a fish trap, just wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce his aggression in the meantime. He is constantly terrorizing my clown fish.

How big is tank ?
IMO all pseudos are mean fish. I am a die hard royal gramma advocate for purple/colorful fish that get along with everything.
I would drain it and save water as low as possible ..
I have a couple large tanks that are scaped and if it goes in it only comes out ill or dead . I am not sure I could catch a healthy fish in any reef set up ? I usually put it off until I can empty the tank which is often not happening . I just got rid of a hawk fish when I moved my tank...
Maybe a piece of acrylic as tall as tank is deep and you can trap him in a corner?
What kind of trap did you order ?

red net and a black net to chase something about red they dont see it.
dotty-backs are fast , try to get him while lights out may give you the advantage.

I got a 10+ inch Vlimingi tang I've been trying to catch almost a year . if he see's me come by the tank he darts into the rocks. so I know what fun it is lol.
for a while before I got ill I was using a small hook with a chunk of shrimp had him twice but he spits out the hook . he's not a stupid fish so I made a mini air harpoon gun out of a old bb gun when I had nothing better to do , I made it as a joke at first than I was tempted to use it till I saw the power it has . afraid it may break glass if I miss so a no go lol.

Back
Top Bottom