Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My new fish is a bully

So this is odd. My new purple dotty back is a bully towards my already established clown fish and even yellow tang at times. I got him at my LFS they told me he would get along and that he was 5 years old. Maybe he is just a grumpy senior citizen. Anyway, I just ordered a fish trap, just wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce his aggression in the meantime. He is constantly terrorizing my clown fish.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How big is tank ?
IMO all pseudos are mean fish. I am a die hard royal gramma advocate for purple/colorful fish that get along with everything.
I would drain it and save water as low as possible ..
I have a couple large tanks that are scaped and if it goes in it only comes out ill or dead . I am not sure I could catch a healthy fish in any reef set up ? I usually put it off until I can empty the tank which is often not happening . I just got rid of a hawk fish when I moved my tank...
Maybe a piece of acrylic as tall as tank is deep and you can trap him in a corner?
What kind of trap did you order ?

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

red net and a black net to chase something about red they dont see it.
dotty-backs are fast , try to get him while lights out may give you the advantage.

I got a 10+ inch Vlimingi tang I've been trying to catch almost a year . if he see's me come by the tank he darts into the rocks. so I know what fun it is lol.
for a while before I got ill I was using a small hook with a chunk of shrimp had him twice but he spits out the hook . he's not a stupid fish so I made a mini air harpoon gun out of a old bb gun when I had nothing better to do , I made it as a joke at first than I was tempted to use it till I saw the power it has . afraid it may break glass if I miss so a no go lol.

Tags
bully, fish, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com