Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
My new purple tang has no eyes, what to do?

Well somebody at work put a purple tang in with a mean black bar pseudochromis at work. About an hour later I noticed this and saw that the purple tang had both of it's eyes eaten/ripped out They were going to freeze the fish but I said I would gladly take it and try to keep it alive and nurse it back....I'm putting it in my 10g Q tank as we speek.

I'm know I need to keep a real close eye on him and the water parameter to try and prevent any secondary infections. Should I buy any meidcation and keep it on hand in case he breaks out with soemthing, or should I just treat the tank now?

Any other suggestions would be great!

Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My yellow tail damsel was attacked and lost one eye. He was disoriented for a while and had trouble feeding. (kept missing the food). He adapted and healed quite quickly even though his wound looked terrible.

To this day, I suspect that he can only see out of one eye. The damaged eye looks like it has healed smoothly, but it doesn't look like it works any more.

Anyway...that was 8 years ago and he is doing fine.

If your guy loses BOTH eyes, I can only imagine that you'll have to hand feed him somehow. You'll know pretty quickly. He'll either figure out how to eat or starve pretty fast.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yes...I didn't treat him with any special medications or anything. Just good water quality and food.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow, good for you for taking the effort. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
No suggestion, but I wish you good luck. May have your work cut out with the hand feeding though.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am sorry to tell you this, but tangs like most clear water fish, use their eyes to locate food. If he cannot feed in a day or two, I would freeze it. He can only recover if he eats, which he probably wont without eyes. It is worth a try, but if he doesnt eat in a day or two, I would euthenise him. My heart goes out to you, and best of luck. I truly do hope he makes it.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I think that he should be able to smell the food just fine. try target feeding the fish and see how that works. I know of several goldfish that had their eyes removed and they are doing just fine.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the support everyone!!

He was still looking good this morning, swimming around a bit, I guess it will take him a little bit of getting used to. I clipped a little piece of nori near him this morning hoping he could find it so I"m anxious to see if it's there when I get home. I think I'll try using a turky baster to blow food right near him as well.

Should I pick up any medication at work today in case something develops over the weekend?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I havn't used melafix with saltwater, but have used it with freshwater with good luck. It is especially good with ulcers, wounds and damaged fins. Might be worth a try. Here is a website address so you can ready about it.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113521
Old 12-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, he still is not eating.... other than that he swims around okay but yesterday I noticed some ick on him. I started the hypo treatment but if he doesn't eat in the next couple days I guess I should freeze him

It seems all odds are against this poor guy and he just wasn't meant to live but I"m not giong to give up yet.

Tags
eyes, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com