Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
my pathetic starfish

i think my chocolate chip is dying. all day today he was on the glass with all five legs curled up off the glass. then i gave him a little tap to see if he was still kickin, and he moved to a different wall. now he is on the glass and he is just hanging by his little sucker things. it looks like he is hanging on for dear life. and he hasn't moved in hours. all water parameters are good. i dont know if maybe he is starving, i have only 2 fish in the tank right now so he might not be getting any leftovers. can i feed him some veggies? or spoon feed him some brine shrimp? what do i do?
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here are the two things that I do to feed my CC Starfish.

1. Put some frozen blood worms into the substrate, and then move the starfish on top of it. He immediately realizes what is going on, and "Digs In" to eat.

2. When he is sticking 2 fingers out of the water, I'll put some food directly into the center of his body. He'll hang onto it, and them move down slowly, and eat.

I don't know if thats good advice or not, but it works for me

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok so i'm a moron. turns out that last week when i put my sump on my tank i took the heater out of the tank to put in the sump but never did. the past 24 hours i have had the lights out, a fan blowing on the water to try and dry off my return line so i could seal a hole, and no heater. water temp is usually at 80 and now it is at 58!!! unbelievable. i guess i know why my starfish is having problems, i would want to die if i was him. thanks for the help anyways.
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

that's one tough piece of a starfish, still hanging onto life after such a dramatic drop in temp
Old 12-10-2003, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where is your tank that it is 58? Is your room temperature that cold? What are the other 2 fish that you have, are they o.k.? They shouldn't be at that temperature unless you are not keeping tropical sw fish.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

its in the basement in my room. and thanks i know the temp shouldn't be that low, i just happen to have every possible situation that would lower the tank temp going at the same time. its all back to normal now. the yellow tang and damsel i have didn't ever show any signs of discomfort, and today they look fine!!
steve

Old 12-11-2003, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
[quote="sparkchaser"]

1. Put some frozen blood worms into the substrate, and then move the starfish on top of it. He immediately realizes what is going on, and "Digs In" to eat.

quote]

I"m assuming you thaw these pieces first right? Frozen food can cause damage to the starfish if it's still frozen.

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com