Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Pearlscape Butterfly fish is dying FAST....help please?

Ok, so my Pearlscape Butterfly is laying on his side breathing really fast. It's not going to be long and he'll be dead. I don't know what's wrong. I checked for ammonia and all seems fine. I just did a %40 water change a week ago since the tank setup is only 2-3 months old. He seemed to have a gash or something on his side behind his gills yesterday and i could figure out what it would be from. I don't know if that has to do with anything. But he's trying to hide under rocks and stuff and breathing heavily while laying on his side. Any clues.

I'm about 20lbs LV
1" sand
salenity is perfect
ammonia is fine
temp is good
i have a Aqua C Remora skimmer
and a power filter
PH = 8.2

2 small red crabs
2 3 strip damsals
1 blue devil
2 yellow tail damsals

What's the deal?

Old 01-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also, i've been feeding him a mix of flake and brine shrimp.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, i'm guessing it's nitrate or nitrite that's killing him from the water change i did. Maybe that was too big of a water change for him to handle. How long does it take for new water to aclimate itself with the nitrogen cycle of the old water? I mixed the water like I was supposed to, but maybe i didn't wait long enough before I added it to the tank?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as the water was the same temp and same PH and salinity, that shouldn't be the problem. I notice you didn't list nitrites. Also, when you say ammonia was fine, what was the reading? What size tank do you have and what are you using for filtration? Really gonna need a bit more info in order to try and figure out what's wrong.
I had a pearlscale and although they are one of the more hearty butterflies, butterflies in general can be hard to keep. I have no idea about the gash in it's side. Sure it wasn't ammonia burns? What type of test kit are you using?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, i knew more info was needed but i didn't know what all i needed to include.

there's plenty of algae thriving in the tank as we speak. It's even grown in the last week a little bit.

=45 gallon
=amonia was reading 0
=Red Sea test kit
=Emporer Power Filter that hangs on back / Bio Wheels

I didn't think the gash was ammonica burns because it was behind hid gills. Not on te gills. So i don't know. Maybe that's what it is.

He's still alive right now. Just breathing heavliy and laying on his side. He moves around every now and then.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a QT tank you could move him too? How much LR do you have? Do you have a nitrite test kit?
Damsels can be pretty aggressive, is it possible they've been harrassing him?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, i have about 20-30 lbs of LR ( i think i said that in the first post)

I have Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, Ammonia, and ALK testing available.
I have no QT tank unfortunately. Just haven't the room for one. I guess that's a risk i take. I don't think it was the damsals, although i can't be certain. The 3 stripped damsels see to be pretty aggressive at times. They're always humping eachother in the fake coral and then running out and chasing other fish down when they come into their domain. But i've never seen them really get that aggressive with the pearlscape.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yeah, i have about 20-30 lbs of LR ( i think i said that in the first post)
Yes, you did. Sorry about that.

Well, I don't know then. I guess it's not impossible that perhaps he got trapped between some rock and hurt himself getting free. Hard to say. Without a QT, makes it hard to treat. Especially with inverts in the tank.

The only med I know of that's safe with inverts is Melafix. It's an antibacterial medicine that's safe to use in SW. Not sure it's coral safe, or how it will affect your LR, but your crabs should be ok. It's used to repair damaged fins and open wounds. And helps with regrowth of the damaged tissue. I would suggest picking up a cheap ten gallon though for treatment. You don't have to have it set up all the time but, comes in handy when thing go amiss.

Maybe some others will pop in with some other suggestions.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i appreciate the help greatly. Unfortunatly, i think he's going to die. That sucks pretty bad. I really like that fish.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry. They are lovely fish.

Tags
butterfly, cap, dyi, dying, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com