My poor Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came home today to find my little clownfish dead. He was fine this morning when I left for work...hanging out in his usual spot under the PH. After about 15 minutes of frantic water tests, I reached into the tank to retrieve the poor little fella and the water was ice cold. The heater had somehow come unplugged and the water temp was down to about 70* F. Everything else in the tank looked just fine and all water tests came out normal. The tank is back up to about 78* now and everyone else still looks OK...anyone know what effect the drop in temp might have on the shrimp or the star? I also wonder if the pods and worms will survive it. This was really STUPID!! The heater cord is now strapped to the power strip with a couple of wire ties...I guess one of the dogs got back there and knocked it loose. He was such a cool fish :cry: .
Logan J

I am pretty sure the pods will survive. I would think it all depends on how long the tank was cold. These guys get cold (in spite of the heat packs) when they are shipped during winter..most of the time with no ill effects. Unless of course they are linckia stars.

Really sorry to hear about the loss though.

Sorry to hear. I lost a flame angel i had in quarentine. I let my quarentine tank get away from me and between high ammonia at the beginning of quarentine and night toward the end when the temp dropped down to below 70, because the heater broke during a water change, i think the stress was just too much for the little guy. I'm still extremely bummed and upset with myself. So I know how you're feeling...

Sorry for the loss Logan. As a stop gap measure and redundancy, I run two heaters. I recommend everyone use two heaters for this very reason.

Mark

You're right about that...I just didn't really have room in the 10g for two of them. I'm soon upgrading the main tank to a 20 and using the 10 as a sump. Will have 2 heaters then for sure.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom