My poor fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had my 72 gal fowlr tank set up now for about 4 months. At one point I had a lionfish(small), 2 chromis, 1 true perc and a royal gramma in it. I added a bi color angel to the tank and since then have had nothing but problems. The angel died 2 days after I introduced it into the tank. Then I noticed that one of the chromis was acting funny and it died 2 days later. Next went the lion than the gramma. All that I have left is the clown and 1 chromis and they are starting to act strange also by showing the same signs. Right before the fish would die they would begin to breath very hard and lay on the bottom of the tank and then the next day they would be gone. There were no spots on them so I could rule out ick and I tested my water and everything was fine and I also took a sample to the lfs and they confirmed this but had no idea what was causing my fish to die. Any ideas/suggestions? BTW I dont have a qt but I am begining to see why most people here advocate them. Thanks

Sounds like it may be velvet, here is an article explaining. Often there are no outward marking until it is too late.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=46
If you can "quickly" get the remaining fish to qt and treat with a good copper compound such as cupramine, you may be able to save them. Do NOT treat the main under any circumstances though. This and leave the main tank fishless for 8 weeks.
Not 100% certain thats what is it, but thats how velvet wipes out a system and I speak from firsthand experience.

I decided to set up a qt. I got a 10 gal with a penguin hob filter with a bio wheel. I treated the qt with copper and my clown and chromis are doing better. I know that I need to keep the main without fish for about 6 weeks to let the parasite die off so my question is about keeping the qt healthy for the fish while I wait. How often and how much should I do water changes in the 10 gal tank? What is the best way to ensure that it will be healthy for my fish while I wait for the main to cure? Right now the qt is very cloudy will a water change help this? Sorry for all of the questions but this is my first attempt at a qt and I want to do it right?

How often and how much should I do water changes in the 10 gal tank?
Your ammonia and nitrite level will dictate this. However plan on doing about a 20% water change every day at least for the duration of the of the copper treatment.
Keep a close eye on the ammonia, PH and nitrite and test your copper levels daily to keep them at proper treatment level.
Feed the fish lightly and siphon any leftover food right after they are done eating, this will help keep the ammonia down.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Well my clown was doing really well in my qt for a week and the ick went away but today I went into check on him and he was laying on the bottom of the tank breating very heavily and then about an hour later he died. I have been battling high ammonia with daily water changes since I set up the qt so I am assuming this is what did him in. Does any one have a suggestion for why my ammonia would be so high in the qt still with all of the water changes? I have a chromis in there now and I dont want him to die, and I plan on using the qt for my new fish in the future.-Thanks

I still think it is velvet. Which copper are you using and how are you measuring the treatment level?
Ammonia for 2 small fish in a 10 gallon should not be that much of a problem, especially if you are doing daily water changes.
Whats the PH level?

I am using cupramine and testing the levels with a copper kit(not sure of brand). The ph is at 7.8, but this is what it was in my main ever since I set it up. I got some buffer and raised the level to 8.2 in the main while it was fishless but I didnt do this in the qt because I didnt want to stress the fish out anymore than I needed to. I do have a small piece of lr from my main in my qt. Do you think this is the source of my ammonia problems? Thanks for your help kurt!

Sorry it took so long.
Do you think this is the source of my ammonia problems?
Yes it very well could be. No doubt that the copper is killing the LR and the die off could be causing the ammonia spike.
I would remove the rock and replace it with some PVC elbows to give the fish some places to hide.
Oh, sorry to say that I would now pitch the rock. It would be a detriment anywhere you put it. It has saturated a good amount of copper by now.

Back
Top Bottom