Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #11
steve-s

By chems I mean the alk, Ca and pH primarily. The parameters include NH, NO2, NO3, salinity and temp for the most part.

For the level of alk you have currently the Ca level is quite low. You really need to get several water changes under way to correct that as well as the pH problem. The possible cronically low pH combined with the elevated DOC and bacterial problem will only allow the tang to get worse.

How many water changes have you done since I posted and what volume?

Alkalinity and nitrate are tested in the same fashion as the Ca and other tests you have posted the results for. If available, I would suggest Salifert.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try and do a quick google search, maybe use the key words "saltwater illness" and "tang". I found this website where a few people mentioned Tangs with red blotchy spots... in one post the response talks about certain medication/medicated food.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bstyeltgfaqs.htm

good luck and I hope the Tang pulls through. also, look at some other websites which may come up. this was just the first i stumbled upon.

p.s. just scroll down that page until you see in bold "Tang With Red Splotches"

Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have done 2 water changes since. The first was about 50% and the second was more around 30%. Over the next couple of days I'm going to do more water changes. Should they all be around 30-50%? I didn't really understand what you were saying about the nitrate. I don't have a test specifically for nitrate. I have tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Carbonate Hardness, pH, Calcium, and then a Hydrometer for Salinity. Is the pH test the same test for alkalinity? That is what I was told. I didn't know if there was a test I could get just for Alkalinity.
Thanks,
Jim and Jess
Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
steve-s

I would do a few more 25-30% water changes just to be safe.

As far as your nitrate and alkalinity tests, they can be found >>online<< if your LFS does not carry them. Your main concern right now is finding out the nitrate level moreso. Have you asked the LFS if they carry one?

Your carbonate hardness kit (KH) could actually be decent enough depending on brand and accuracey. 14-15 DKH would suggest you are using IO salts based on your Ca level posted earlier. If that's the case you don't have too much to worry about (unless a reef tank) but I would add a tad of CaCl to your water to bring things back into balance. If the pH is still supressed, you should also look into the possibility of not having enough water flow/surface aggitation or something covering the tank is preventing proper gas exchange and trapping CO2. If there's a glass lid, you should look into replacing it with something like eggcrate material.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #15

The salt we use is instant ocean. i don't think we have poor water circulation but i could be wrong. we have a powerhead, protein skimmer, and a filter all bringing water flow into the tank. it's a vertical hex, so there isn't really a lot of room on the bottom. i took some pics of the tank and the tang, but i don't know how to resize the picture to show you. do you know how to downsize a picture? thanks, jim and jess
Old 07-28-2004, 03:20 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Here are some topics and tutorials from the Show-Off/Photography forum that explain how to resize using Photoshop. There are also some links for other resizing software:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=28453

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=4880

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

White is not a good sign. If he is beginning to lose his color then you are beginning to lose your fish. I would start with the ater chages right away
Quote:
nitrate and alkalinity
You can get test kits for just those two items if you want. Your LFS should have those on the shelf. You use these test kits just like the rest.
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:59 PM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandjess3096
it's a vertical hex, so there isn't really a lot of room on the bottom.
Hex tanks are not the best for SW due to the lack of surface area vs the tank volume. Could easily be a CO2 issue.

Aside from the skimmer, what GPH are your pumps rated at, how many pumps, and what model filter?

How about the glass lid?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2004, 12:35 AM   #19

How do you find out the gph? We have a Fluval 404 filter. The lid is plastic with a flip top. How do you find out about the co2? Thanks, Jim and Jess
Old 07-30-2004, 12:45 AM   #20

Also, I have Adobe Photoshop starter edition. I don't really know how to use it. I can't seem to find anything that is for resizing the image.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com