Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here is a pic of the tang.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #22

Now he's looking a little worse than that and is starting to turn a little whiter at the bottom of his stomach.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #23

Here is the tank.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:13 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Really, do some more water changes, he is definitely stressed for some reason.
What is the water volume for the tank? A yellow "needs" surface area to swim. They are "movers and shakers". It is probably an environmental issue, he may just need room to move.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:09 AM   #25
steve-s

True tangs need horizontal room moreso than the volume itself. The recommended minimum is a 4 ft tank length.

That said though without knowing your nitrate readings it's hard to say where to proceed from here. If you've been keeping up with the water changes/feeding and things are getting worse it could be too much for the tang to heal on it's own. The appearance of the tang definately suggest bacterial.

At this point I'm kinda leaning towards a combination of problems. The Fluval by the looks of the tank is the only thing moving water aside from the skimmer. That's only going to amount to less than 300 GPH. The max rating for the 404 is 340 GPH but that is calculated before head pressure and without media. If so, that about ½ of the minumum recommeded flow for SW. Combine that with the plastic lid and you most likely have a cronic pH problem which could easily result in acidosis. Your only reference to pH was made at noon (?) so I would be sure to repost what the pH is later in the afternoon.

I would definately suggest removing the lid completely and replacing it with eggcrate (see attached pic) and augment the flow with at least one Maxi Jet 900 (preferabley 2) or something of a similar velocity.

I think the best route for the tangs sake is to set up a QT and treat with Maracyn II for seven days at double the dose each day. While the issues with the tank are resolved, the QT being an open environment will have a better pH and the antibiotic will help if bacterial. Be sure you acclimate the tang to the QT the same as any new fish. If suffering from a pH issue, a sharp increase can be just as bad.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-31-2004, 03:22 PM   #26

my poor lil tang

well guys my tang is chipper as could be his health is great i used some copper substrate and mixed it with instant ocean super protien mix now all my fish are swimming around like they were born
Old 07-31-2004, 03:26 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

glad to hear your fish is better now
Old 07-31-2004, 03:27 PM   #28

hmmmmn well im not sure but this mix i made has made my fish crasy iv never seen them swim so much but i guess this is good if you have ever seen a improvement so fast it took like a hour im really concerned they might have heart attacks
Old 07-31-2004, 03:31 PM   #29

oh my damel the big one was a bully over the other damsel and made him stay in the corner of the tank but now the tang is picking on the bully and my clowns are protecting the damsel two different species interacting like this is amasing if you have any imput about this please feel free to help me understand this thanks....
Old 07-31-2004, 05:07 PM   #30

ok the last 3 replies were Jim. Just ignore it! he didn't put copper in the tank. He told me he did several water changes today and that the gravel was filthy. Is it food and waste that cause nitrates to get high? The tang does look better. He is still a little red, but he's looking better though. Should we do anything else besides water changes? I'm going to test the water and post the results in a few. I haven't gotten the tests for the nitrate or alkalinity. But like I said a while back, I was told that testing for ph would tell you the alkalinity level. please advise! thanks, jessica

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com