My poor yellow tang...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what about the protein skimmer? it's got a little waterfall thing on it that pours water back into the tank. it's from red sea. it's called red sea prizm.

What the skimmer can do as far as water movement within the tank is relatively nothing. Especially in a tall tank.

Cheers
Steve

ok i FINALLY got at nitrate and alkalinity test kit. but the kind i got is confusing as hell. it's from a brand called salifert and i'm not understanding the directions clearly. it's called no3 profi test for nitrate from salifert. does anyone know how to use this test kit?? thanks, jess

Start with the low range test. Rinse the vial in tank water a few times before use. There is a line on the test vial about midway which should be 10 ml, fill to that line. Just be sure the line is at the bottom of the meniscus or use the syringe included.

Add one level spoon of the powdered regent #1 with the small spoon included and gentley swirl for a few seconds. Add one drop of regent #2 from the bottle and swirl a few seconds. Then add a level spoon of the regent #3 and swirl gentley for 30 seconds. Don't worry if it all doesn't dissolve. After swirling for the 30 seconds let it sit for 3 min without the lid.

There should be a color chart included. Match the color chart to the vial and post the results. I'm posting from memeory so I cannot remember if you divide by 10 or if that's for the high range test. I will look when I get home.

Cheers
Steve

i think i figured it out, but i'm not sure. i think the test you're talking about is a little different than mine. but IF i did everything right, it looks like it is reading 25 in the medium range. the directions didn't say anything about dividing the number on the color chart by anything else if it was in the medium range, so i think that's the reading. my test also doesn't tell you what is ideal and what to do if you aren't at ideal ranges. is 25 in the medium range good? also, we ditched the old powerhead we had and bought 3 new ones. so the max gph for everything in the tank now is 340 for the fluval filter, 230/each for 2 of the powerheads, and 295 for the other powerhead. i don't think there could be anymore water movement in that tank now. lol also we added one 4-stripe damsel, one green chromis and one golden coris wrasse. do you think they will do well in the tank? the tang is starting to look better. he isn't breathing heavily and isn't red at the moment. he's a little white, but that's it. he's pretty energetic too. he's actually been being a bully to the new fish. we only have one yellow tailed blue damsel now. the other one (who was getting bullied from the other) must have jumped out of the tank. i was cleaning up the area, and moved a bucket and he was laying on the carpet next to it. i'm surprised one of the cats didn't find him! anyways, oh yeah, i put in something called proper ph 8.2, and so at the moment the ph is around 8.1. thanks again, jim and jessica

Sounds like things are looking a little more possitive. Some fish can tolerate higher nitrates but tangs are quite sensitive to water quality. I would try to get the nitrates under 20 ppm and keep them there. The water flow issue sounds better.

You still need to rethink the lid your using. Constantly using chemical means to maintain pH long term is not a good idea and will damage the overall health of the tank over time. If alkalinity is good, then fix environmental concerns affecting the pH, not by way of chemical additions.

As for the newly added fish, I hope they have all been quarantined first. I would not have suggested adding that many new fish to a tank just getting over a "hick-up" like this. It will add greatly to an already distressed biofilter and cause you more concerns.

Cheers
Steve

no they have not been quarantined. we just sat their bags in the water a while and then put them in. if i did the alkalinity test right, then it's low. what do i need to do to get the nitrate down? how is it that the ammonia and nitrite are perfect but everything else is messed up? is the lid the only thing i can do to help the ph? and how do i get the alkalinity up? by using the buffer i have?

jimandjess3096 said:
what do i need to do to get the nitrate down? how is it that the ammonia and nitrite are perfect but everything else is messed up?
Lack of anoxic/anaerobic areas within the tank. The bacteria that concert NH3 and NO2 are aerobic. The bacteria that convert the nitrates live in an area supressed or void of O2. It takes much longer for the nitrate consuming bacteria to form. You also need to consider the area's the facultative bacteria have to colonize. Considering the depth of your tank and lack of space to increase the LR with much effect, I would seriously consider a refugium with non-caulerpa macro algaes. More LR will still help but you need something to aid in NNR. Your only other option is keeping up with regular water changes.

Remember, the solution to polution is dilution. :wink:

is the lid the only thing i can do to help the ph? and how do i get the alkalinity up? by using the buffer i have?
You can wait and see how the added powerheads will help but I honestly think you will have much less pH issues without your current lid. As far as the alkalinity, yes the buffer will help but be very careful how much you add a heed the instructions carefully. Buffers impact the pH just as much so be sure it's dosed in the early AM to reduce the overall daily changes to the pH. If in doubt, rely on water changes until you have a better grasp on your tanks needs.

Cheers
Steve

How would I get a "refugium with non caulerpa macro algaes"? I honestly don't think we can fit much more live rock in the tank. You wouldn't see the bottom of the tank if we put anything else in there. I have been putting in the buffer, but the tang , once again, is turning red again. The instructions on the buffer say 5ml per 20 gallons, so I've been putting in 15ml of each part.

jimandjess3096 said:
How would I get a "refugium with non caulerpa macro algaes"?
You make one. It would be a seperate system attached to the main tank. Do a google search for refugiums. You will come up with plenty of DIY applications.

I have been putting in the buffer, but the tang , once again, is turning red again. The instructions on the buffer say 5ml per 20 gallons, so I've been putting in 15ml of each part.
I hope you have also been monitoring the levels of alkalinity and Ca with each addition. The chemistry is going to become so high it will become a factor in the tanks health and there will also be a chance or precipitation. As far as buffering is concerned, it is only a bandaid for the pH it will not fix your problem. Until the CO2 issue is addressed directly, you will continue to have pH problems even with the buffer additions.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom