Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2004, 05:08 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi, we are having trouble keeping the temperature the exact same all the time. It keeps fluctuating a few degrees. The highest it has been is 81.5 and the lowest is 76.4. I'm not sure what is going on, but we don't even use the heater. It is always staying warm by itself. I'm not sure how to keep it the same temp. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #42

Well last night we went to the store and Jim got some kind of medicine the guy there said it wouldn't harm the tank or the other fish. It's called Mela Fix. Did we do the right thing by getting that?

Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get a 5-20 gallon tub at walmart for next to nothing. It is better to use aged saltwater for water changes. As far as a power head, or pump goes, these are really cheap as well. You can go to placed like aquaria.com anf get these for around $12.
You need to get a heater and adjust it so there isn't too much fluctuation in temperature. I keep my heater at 78, so if there is fluctuation, it won't be much. Temperature changes can be detrimental to the health of fish.
The spots on the Tang..are they black, or white?
I haven't used Mela Fix personally, but I have heard some good things about it. Read up on it and make sure it will be safe for your tank.
I used all natural stuff to cure my Tang. Nori, and seaweed soaked in Selcon works really well. I use Garlic Extreme once a week for added benefits as well.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandjess3096
Well last night we went to the store and Jim got some kind of medicine the guy there said it wouldn't harm the tank or the other fish. It's called Mela Fix. Did we do the right thing by getting that?
Not familiar with tis product, but usually any med that claims not to harm you tank is not strong enough to heal your fish. Any med that is strong enough to cure a fish will hurt your tank.
IMO, its not a good thing to pour any med into your display, no good can come of it. Sounds like you may need a qt tank.
Are the spots anywhere else on the body? Are you fish "flashing" or scratching?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:54 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very true Quarryshark. Any med that will really kill off diseases in the tank, will most likely wipe out anything else. I never use meds in my main tank.
As far as the spots on him..When my Tang was ill, he had these little black spots on him, and he would dart real quick and rub himself up against the rocks. This is usually the first signs of disease, unless he was just being territorial.
You really do need to get your temperature under control though. Too much fluctuation can stress your fish out. Heaters are really cheap too online. HTH

Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
Very true Quarryshark. Any med that will really kill off diseases in the tank, will most likely wipe out anything else. I never use meds in my main tank.
As far as the spots on him..When my Tang was ill, he had these little black spots on him, and he would dart real quick and rub himself up against the rocks. This is usually the first signs of disease, unless he was just being territorial.
You really do need to get your temperature under control though. Too much fluctuation can stress your fish out. Heaters are really cheap too online. HTH

Mike
Thanks, I have had more than my fair share of battles with parasites and the qt tank is the only way to go. Much better control of treatment and you can use proven treatments. A lot of "witches brew" meds out there that some of the lfs are pushing. Seen more than a few posts of people loosing fish trying to use these miracle cures.
Proper treatment takes a bit of effort, but it works.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #47
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandjess3096
Well we don't have glass covers. We have a plastic lid.
They both do the same thing. Lids trap CO2 and supress pH. No lid or preferabley an air permiable barrier like eggrate will allow CO2 to escape and not cause problems with the pH.

Quote:
Also, we do have a powerhead. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it from what I can tell.
I was more trying to find out the GPH of the powerheads in the tank (not including the skimmer) not how well they worked. The water flow is quite important and should be minimum 10x the volume of the tank. ie.. a 50 gallon tank should have 500 GPH.

Quote:
All of the fish seem to be breathing a little fast. But I'm not sure what is normal for how fast their gills and mouth should be moving.
If the new SW is not allowed to age for a minimum of 12 hrs after being prepared it can cause a fairly decent pH spike which will stress the fish and cause rapid breathing.

Quote:
we are having trouble keeping the temperature the exact same all the time. It keeps fluctuating a few degrees. The highest it has been is 81.5 and the lowest is 76.4. I'm not sure what is going on, but we don't even use the heater. It is always staying warm by itself. I'm not sure how to keep it the same temp.
As mentioned you need to get a titanium submersible heater. If the max temp is running 81.5°, set the heater close to the same or even 81°. The constant changes in temp are quite stressful to the fish.

Quote:
In this situation, Melafix won't do anything. For the most part it's simpley a topical treatment (tea tree oil) that can occasionally help with open wounds. I would just run some carbon and remove the med. It won't hurt the animals at all but will gum up equipment something awful as well as sending the skimmer into a frenzy.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #48

Steve,
How do I find out the gph? And also, what I meant with the heater is that we do have one in the tank, but it never kept our water at a certain temperature. We set it at 78 one time, and the temp went up to 80. So then we set it lower, and it still wasn't doing much. Maybe we just got a bad heater? Or I'm doing something wrong? So after the water kept staying real warm, we just turned the heater off, since it didn't seem to be helping with anything. With the lid situation, I don't really know anything about the different types of lids, much less the eggcrate. Is there one for a hex tank? Does a section of it hold the lights? And would there be cut outs for all of the equipment and cords? I'm looking at the tang right now, and he looks pretty good and isn't breathing as hard. But that seems to change on a day to day basis with him. What is the minimum size tank you need for a qt? Mostly I'm asking this since we live in a 1 br apt. and don't have a lot of room for another 50 or 60 gallon tank. And would it just need to be the coral sand and nothing else in the tank? Just that and a powerhead and heater and I guess a thermometer? And also, what do you mean by adding carbon? Thanks, Jessica
Old 08-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #49

P.S. I tested the water last night with the tests we do have, and the ammonia and nitrite were 0 and the ph was at 7.8 and the calcium was about 360-380.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #50

Salttanker,
Yes, lately my tang has been darting at the glass and wiggling around it. I thought maybe he was seeing his reflection. We don't have a background or anything on the tank, so I'm pretty sure they can see their reflection. But he might also be rubbing himself against the glass too. I'm not sure. Hopefully it's just him being territorial.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com