My Powder Blue has ick!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.octavia.rollins

Aquarium Advice Regular
We noticed Sunday night she had a couple parasites & now today I looked at her & she has them everywhere!! On top of my Powder Blue, my Sailfin has ick too.. Our QT is not set-up yet so a Friend of ours told us that if our fish gets ick to go lights out for two days... Is there anything else we cndo??else we can do??

Turning the lights off is not going to cure anything. You may see the spots disappear, but that is just part of how this cycles. There are many threads on treating ick on this forum. Do you have a FOWLR or reef tank?

mrs.octavia.rollins said:
We noticed Sunday night she had a couple parasites & now today I looked at her & she has them everywhere!! On top of my Powder Blue, my Sailfin has ick too.. Our QT is not set-up yet so a Friend of ours told us that if our fish gets ick to go lights out for two days... Is there anything else we cndo??else we can do??

Turning your lights off does nothing to the parasite and doesn't help the fish.

I've had a few different kinds of tangs and I will tell you that they are VERY susceptible to parasites. If your tang has ich then until you QT all of the fish in your tank and leave your main fishless for a while, you will continue to have issues not only with the tang but all your fish. Any new fish you buy need to be quarantined before going into your main tank at least a few weeks. I realize this does not sound appealing however ich does not naturally occur in your system, it has to be introduced. With a tang, you will notice as it gets more white spots that it will flash (rub against rocks and what not). This is also an issue because he can get scrapes and open wounds which then would be more susceptible to infection since he's already dealing with the stress of ich. Here is a great site that will give you a ton of knowledge regarding ich, the life cycle (this is important to understand so you can get rid of it) and how to treat your tang. One last thing, once a fish gets ich and is cured in QT, it will build a resistance typically for 2-3 months, but if you choose not to eradicate it from the tank, he will most likely get it again.

www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

Back
Top Bottom