My purple tip anemone has its mouth open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PowderBlueTang245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a purple tip anemone from my LFS and he seemed healthy when i bought it and acclimated it. Im trying to have my clownfish host the anemone so i moved it to a noodle strainer with my clownfish to try and introduce them . When i pit it back it attached to the rock ( before it was just laying on the sand). Now its mouth is open and the tentacles look shorter . Did i do something wrong? By the way I've had the anemone for about a week now and it still hasnt accepted any food i even tried target feeding . I read that if the tentacles are sticky they're healthy i don't know if that helps. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 149
In my experience its best to leave a nem/clown to do their thing. That type of nem is not a natural host for a Occ or perc clown but you never know! If your clowns are tank bred odds are they may never host an anemone :( you don't need to feed it, it will get what it needs from your lights, which I hope are strong enough... Give it time to settle in

Chances are in the store it was fed brine shrimp id try spot feeding it with that. Or he my be indicating you need to PCW

Is this the same tank that has nitrates over 100ppm? And your continuing to add stuff? Corals don't do well in that environment. Stop throwing money away.

I would not feed it. The majority of anemones kept in aquaria are photosynthetic (including yours) and do just fine on fish poop as food. (Carpets may be an exception, but I very rarely feed mine.). Many well meaning individuals feed their anemones literally to death with too frequent and too large food items. Lighting a clean water are the keys. Do you have a wider shot of yours? He looks like he might be a little light in color (bleached).

Back
Top Bottom