My royal gramma has ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
My royal gramma has ick. I just saw it. Its the first I've seen it since this morning!!! What do I do?!??!?!!!

Best thing is QT the fish leave the DT fallow for the next 8 weeks treat the fish in the QT. By leaving the DT fishless the ich will starve and die off Search the forum theres a lot of info here just gotta find it :(

Grizz said:
Best thing is QT the fish leave the DT fallow for the next 8 weeks treat the fish in the QT. By leaving the DT fishless the ich will starve and die off Search the forum theres a lot of info here just gotta find it :(

Thanks. I have 7 fish. I also have a 5 gallon tank. Can I use that to qt them? I have a few inverts but they were hitchhikers... I have almost no money so anything advise is greatly appreciated...

5G is very small for 7 fish try to get a 30g storage bin and some random pieces of PVC for them to hide in your inverts are ok as ich dont bother them Use your filter media to seed your QT any ich in it will be killed by the meds Keep a close eye on your QT water as you may need do some PWC's there as well

Grizz said:
5G is very small for 7 fish try to get a 30g storage bin and some random pieces of PVC for them to hide in your inverts are ok as ich dont bother them Use your filter media to seed your QT any ich in it will be killed by the meds Keep a close eye on your QT water as you may need do some PWC's there as well

Thank you so much. So get a 30g container as a qt and as far as my DT goes, just let it be fish free for a few weeks?

Yes a 30g tote is what i use i have found that if i have another tank up and running it's not long before it go's from a QT to a DT lol
Most agree that your DT should remain free of fish for 8 weeks this way the ICH can run through it's life cycle and with out a host it starves and dies off I know 8 weeks sounds like forever but you still have the verts :)

Grizz said:
Yes a 30g tote is what i use i have found that if i have another tank up and running it's not long before it go's from a QT to a DT lol
Most agree that your DT should remain free of fish for 8 weeks this way the ICH can run through it's life cycle and with out a host it starves and dies off I know 8 weeks sounds like forever but you still have the verts :)

Ok. Wont the sides of a tote bow out and bust?

I made a frame that go's around the top of the bin i slide it on from the bottom looks like pic frame it sits low enough that my hob dont touch i use a rubber maid also there a bit heaver made than the cheapo's Also you can use a corner filter (little plastic box with air hose) and a small ph if you dont have an extra hob.
PS before i made the frame i used a belt to stop the bowing

Grizz said:
I made a frame that go's around the top of the bin i slide it on from the bottom looks like pic frame it sits low enough that my hob dont touch i use a rubber maid also there a bit heaver made than the cheapo's Also you can use a corner filter (little plastic box with air hose) and a small ph if you dont have an extra hob.
PS before i made the frame i used a belt to stop the bowing

What's a corner filter?

It's one of those that you see in small FW starter tanks it has a air line that runs it it sits in the corner of the tank and bubbles you can put poly and charcoal in then they just dont move much water so you need a small PH for flow all they really are is a place for your BB to grow oh and a air pump to power it Now that i think about it may be cheaper to buy a small HOB :facepalm:

Grizz said:
It's one of those that you see in small FW starter tanks it has a air line that runs it it sits in the corner of the tank and bubbles you can put poly and charcoal in then they just dont move much water so you need a small PH for flow all they really are is a place for your BB to grow oh and a air pump to power it Now that i think about it may be cheaper to buy a small HOB :facepalm:

Haha yeah. So I need a 30 gallon tote, a ph, 2 hob filters, an aerator, PVC pipe. Is that all? Thanks for the info. :) btw

I run 2 HOB's on my 90 just so i have 1 for the QT you wont need a PH in the tote with the hob it will move enough water, just the hob a heater and a place for the fish to hide no need to spend a lot for the QT.
when your done with the QT clean the HOB refill with poly-fill and put it back on the DT to build a new BB for next time

I barrowed it from some one and forgot who :facepalm: i would like to credit them though It's some of the best advice iv'e found.
PS I'll remove it need be

Is it possible that my fish had a mild outbreak of ick, and they have fought it off?

Yes could have just keep in mind that the ICH is still there and will reinfect as soon as it can it also will hide in the gills of your fish Better to QT and rid your DT of it I know thats not what you want to hear It's just if the fish get stressed you could lose them to it.

Grizz said:
Yes could have just keep in mind that the ICH is still there and will reinfect as soon as it can it also will hide in the gills of your fish Better to QT and rid your DT of it I know thats not what you want to hear It's just if the fish get stressed you could lose them to it.

Yeah. It's ok. I would rather save everything than take a chance. I've just heard so much from so many people about what to do and what not and its getting confusing but you know what your talking about so trust you. :)

Back
Top Bottom