Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once again, with all due respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
I have had ich in my system and eradicated it with hypo salinity. I am well aware of the parasite. I have gotten my information from this site. I was told ich is a parasite that burrows under the skin, and that ich has actually never been found in the stomach contents of a cleaner wrasse of cleaner shrimp, which discouraged me from getting one. I also remember this information vein on many websites, and after reading many 10+ page articles on the parasite I have found this to be true. Is it possible your are speaking of freshwater ich? I don't know about that and if you are, sorry for the long post.
I refer you to the book "Treatment of Exotic Marine Fish Diseases" by Pathologist Edward Kingsford, M.D. Page 23 for Oodinium and page 26 for Cryptocryon. This is an older book that uses many meds no longer available but the pathology of the organisms hasn't changed. You are correct that at an advanced stage of "Ick" the parasite embedds into the skin and this is discussed in the literature however, this is the more advanced stage and treatment prior to this stage is when the fish has the most chances of success of being rid of the parasite.

You must be cautious as to what you read online. It's more about who the person is that's saying things as opposed to what they are saying. Even on this site, there have been postings that have been flat out WRONG. In fact, in an article I recently read about Fungus, the article even points out how there is so much misinformation and factually wrong info on the web about fungal treatments. They are the scientists developing the treatments, I think they would know.
I tried to go to the article you suggested to look at the qualifications of the posters but was unable to. If you can, What are his/ her qualifications to make the statement. In the case of cleaner wrasses, they may not be able to or don't pick off the embedded parasites but some shrimp may. Cleaner wrasses do eat a number of parasitic organisms and there are a number of parasites found in the ocean (Certain Copopods being one). As far as I know, any fish can succumb to Cryptocaryon. On the bright side, there are a host of other fish that in a juvenile stage, are parasite cleaners that may eat the parasite. Angelfish, most Thallasoma Wrasses, Juvenile Hogfish are all parasite eaters. It would be interesting to see the stomach contents of those fish don't you think? They have the mouth structure to eat larger scaled parasites. I've even seen schools of Passer angels converge on a Manta Ray to clean off the parasites. I doubt they were just looking for dead skin.

Hope this clears things up a bit

Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry, I thought you were saying that the parasite is ALWAYS on the skin. You were talkin about when it first gets onto the fish! Lol. I see. Thx for clearing that up.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
I'm sorry, I thought you were saying that the parasite is ALWAYS on the skin. You were talkin about when it first gets onto the fish! Lol. I see. Thx for clearing that up.
Not a problem
Fish diseases can really be tricky to contain and diagnose these days and there IS so much bad info on the web that you really need to be careful. I almost always refer back to my library whenever I have a question because it's what I've used in the past that worked. I realize that a lot of today's diseases are just old ones with new immunities which is why they are so hard to treat. One remedy that will NEVER go out of style, Fresh Water Dips. The osmotic pressue will always be different and burst those nasty buggers. The only drawback to this is actually having to catch the fish Not always easy

Glad we cleared this up
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

HAHA ya catching fish is really annoying. And then once they go back in the tank if there's ich in it there's a chance they'll get it again.... Lol

Tags
die, died, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com