Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tang died :(

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1700363445.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	92620

I bought and powder brown surgeonfish last Sunday and he was fine until I got home from work yesterday.. He suddenly had white spots, looks like a pimple which was properly popped out from its scales and fins..

Please can anyone let me know what it is? Is this Ich? And how to cure it? Also does anyone know why it happened?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3531265381.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	92621

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank? Was he stressed?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't think that the fish was stressed. Plus I have a yellow tang and a yellow tail damselfish with the new fish and they both seem fine. Even the shrimp is fine.. Do you have an idea what it is?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are they bumps under the skin or ON the skin? My blue gets bumps under his skin once in awhile but he alwasy seems fine.

How big is the tank, what else is in there all together and when did you get the other fish?

those answers might help......
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What the fish has is ich. Can be caused from stress, to much temperature change, could be from not being acclimated correctly. If it is a reef tank there is really nothing you can put in the water that will take it away without harming the corals. Try getting a cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrasse and they will take it off of the fish if it allows them to.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanahandbluey View Post
Attachment 92620

I bought and powder brown surgeonfish last Sunday and he was fine until I got home from work yesterday.. He suddenly had white spots, looks like a pimple which was properly popped out from its scales and fins..

Please can anyone let me know what it is? Is this Ich? And how to cure it? Also does anyone know why it happened?

Attachment 92621
The bottom picture looks like a classic case of Ick or cryptocaron (both parasites) which appear when the fish is stressed. The exact cause may never be known but the timing of the outbreak sounds like he was not acclimated correctly or the yellow tang may have been harrassing him and stressing him out. He also may have been harboring some parasites when you bought him and the stress of the move alone could have caused the outbreak.
In the future, it would be wise of you to quarentine all new arrivals for a minimum of 14 -21 days to observe their condition, eating habits and general health. In this tank, you can medicate appropriately without doing any damage to your main tank.
FYI: A number of invertebrates can harbor these parasites as well so you would be wise to quarentine them as well. Animals that hold water such as anemones and corals are prime suspects in outbreaks that occur shortly after their introduction into tanks.

Sorry for your loss but I hope this helps...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ick has to be introduced into the system. Also, a cleaner shrimp won't cure it or eating at all because ick is under the skin, and cleaner shrimp only eat things on the skin. The spots are a reaction to it.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

With all due respect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Ick has to be introduced into the system. Also, a cleaner shrimp won't cure it or eating at all because ick is under the skin, and cleaner shrimp only eat things on the skin. The spots are a reaction to it.
With all due respect, I'm not sure where you are getting your information.
Oodinium and cryptocaryon (a.k.a. Saltwater Ich) are external parasites and are known to be carried by both fish and some inverts such as corals and anemones. (Yet another reason to quarentine new arrivals.) Older research found that the parasite Oodinium once introduced in a tank, can last over 4 weeks without a host fish. Fish left unmedicated in an oodinium exposed tank are extremely susceptible to infestation.
Cryptocaryon does have a more advanced stage when the parasite burrows into the flesh of the fish thereby making medicating a harder task. Early detection and treatment are extremely important when dealing with this organism. In certain fish, Tangs being one of them, the secreting of excessive mucus to protect the skin actually makes medications ineffective against the parasite whereby a cleaning shrimp would be a benefit to help expose the parasite and remove it from the skin. At this point, secondary infection (bacterial or fungal) will be the next threat.
This is, once again, why it is so important to quarantine new arrivals for a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks if medicated and 8 weeks or longer if not being medicated.
I suggest you do some more research on parasitic organisms so you can better prepare yourself and can help others.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had ich in my system and eradicated it with hypo salinity. I am well aware of the parasite. I have gotten my information from this site. I was told ich is a parasite that burrows under the skin, and that ich has actually never been found in the stomach contents of a cleaner wrasse of cleaner shrimp, which discouraged me from getting one. I also remember this information vein on many websites, and after reading many 10+ page articles on the parasite I have found this to be true. Is it possible your are speaking of freshwater ich? I don't know about that and if you are, sorry for the long post.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

See http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-...ich-99867.html

Tags
die, died, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com