My torch got BJD, is there anything else I should follow up on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasjestyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Type & how long you have had it: 1 month
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 4x bulb T5HO (Aquatic Life)
3. Nitrate: 0
4. Calcium: haven't tested recently
5. Phosphate: 0
6. Alkalinity: haven't tested recently
7. pH: 8.2
8. Salinity: SG 1.025
9. Temperature: 75
10. Liquid or strip test kits: liquid
11. Location in tank: living room, usually shaded from sunlight
12. Current amount of flow: 2000gph (1 700gph PH and 1 1350gph PH)
13. Current tank dosing regimen: 4 x 70 trace element blocks
14. Nearby coral: kenya tree (about 10 inches away), bpXenia about a foot away, duncans about 2 feet away. All doing fine.
15. Explanation of problem:

I had posted about a month ago regarding a weakly head of my torch coral. Mike suggested it might be brown jelly disease but at the time it wasn't showing any signs. Yesterday I noticed it was half covered in BJD. Today it was completely covered and starting to drift into the other head. All of my other corals seem to be fine except about a week or two ago, one of my xenia colonies vaporized. It was a large stalk and is now completely gone. No visible evidence of nipping by fish and at the time, I didn't have any nipping prone stock. I have since added two angels, a bi-color and a coral beauty. Risky I know, but the lady at the LFS said she never had any problems in her reef, and I shouldn't either so long as I introduce them together and keep the tank well fed, which I do. Ive been watching them like a hawk, and so far, no suspect behavior. Fish are all fat and happy.

I went out and bought some iodine and mixed about 30 drops into a gallon of tank water. I siphoned off the brown gunk from the eaten head and a little of the good head. Dipped the torch in the iodine dip for about 10 minutes and placed it back in the tank.

I'm wondering if there is something else I should be doing? Any follow ups I should do for the tank? Should I be dosing the tank? Or am I just playing the wait and see game at this point?

Back
Top Bottom