my watchman gobys fins r gone!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish geek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
help!! my gobys main lookin fin is almost completely gone and there is a strange white spot on his back by his rear fin about a 1/4'' round so i don't think its ick i hope. also i have no qt tank and even if i did i wouldn't be able to get him out(took a 1/2hr at the lps). my water tests r all good salinity 1.22,cal440,ammonia0,nitrite0,p.h8.4 please reply with suggs

also is it possible that my black spiny urchin is mutatin into a banded spine urchin?

and will this red algae ever stop growin

and lol is there such a thing as a soft shell or no shell snail because i have somethin that looks and moves like one

thx nick

fish geek said:
help!! my gobys main lookin fin is almost completely gone and there is a strange white spot on his back by his rear fin about a 1/4'' round so i don't think its ick i hope. also i have no qt tank and even if i did i wouldn't be able to get him out(took a 1/2hr at the lps). my water tests r all good salinity 1.22,cal440,ammonia0,nitrite0,p.h8.4 please reply with suggs
The goby could easily be quite stressed which would lead to the less than stately appearance. Having someone chase it with a net for ½ hour has probabley left it in a bit of a sham. Keep a close watch on the spots, it could be a parasite of just sediment from the tank. The fin should eventually grow back if all is well with your water specs as you've indicated. If it's eating, be sure you fortify the foods with a good marine vitamin to help bolster it's immune system.

What species of goby and what other fish do you have? Could also be a case of aggression.

also is it possible that my black spiny urchin is mutatin into a banded spine urchin?
Probabley not. Might actually be a sign it's not getting enough nutrition. Got a pic? Was it a solid black long spine when purchased?

and will this red algae ever stop growin
Once you get rid of the PO4 that's feeding the cyano, yes. The main thing is to be sure you only use pure RO water, make sure there is plenty of water flow and ensure your feedings are sparse and do not contain high PO4 levels.

and lol is there such a thing as a soft shell or no shell snail because i have somethin that looks and moves like one
Sure there is. Plenty of possibilities for that. A pic would definately help.

On a last note FWIW, I would definately suggest getting a QT set up for any future purchases. This could have easily ended in disaster. The goby could have been introduced into a stressless environment where it would have had the proper time to recouperate before joining the community. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

my black spine urchin was solid black but now getting white bands all over he is growing rapidly is there a good sea urchin food-diet i should give him.

thx for all the help
nick

Back
Top Bottom