My whole tank seems to be in trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, on Sunday I did a 20% w/c and since then my tank seems to be in trouble. The polyps on one of my corals refuses to come out! Today I came home from work and my large toadstool won't come out. Also I have two duncan corals and both heads have a brown film over them and also have not come out. Lately I have a lot of cyno on my sand bed. I upped my flow and cleaned the bed yesterday but today it has all come back. The only things that are ok is my finger coral and pulsing Xenia . The tank is four months old. All my readings seem fine. Please help as I'm panicking !!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389811172.217759.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389811194.186209.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389811214.599178.jpg

I hardly feed my clown , once every 2/3 days. My tank is four months old. 50lbs live rock, live sand and I hob protein skimmer and two ph. Many thanks

Clean fresh regular ro water changes is the cure.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All is still the same, although mushroom is out but has gone a different shape and turned to one side . Is this normal?

No I have the same lighting. Getting a little concerned now. Poylps on my othe coral have still not come out.

Ok, I could do with your help on this one mrX . As you know my mushroom is all limp and not to good. Today I took it out of the tank and dip it in some fresh water. It looked as though there was brown jelly on it , so I gently rubbed it off and placed it back in the tank. On a closer look I noticed holes in my mushroom. Is it on its way out and should u throw it? Or will it recover?. Your opinion would be much appreciated . Many thanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390086442.545696.jpg

Have done a few w/c. Do you think it will recover?. Is it possible the brown jelly has caused my other corals not to open. It's been a week now. Got my water tested yesterday before w/c and they said water was perfect. Will do a small change tomorrow.

No. that's not possible. LFS's in my experience test with strips. If they don't, they just look for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Alk could be your problem, and could be ph.

They did not use strips they done it with test tubes etc... They did about 5 different ones and all were good . Although they did say as I have cyno and some algae it can give you a false reading.(this I knew) was hoping they would pick up some thing my test kit had not . So do you think w/c will sort this and hand picking the cyno out.? If it's a bacteria problem will my w/c eventually solve this issue? Do you also think my other corals will be ok?

It's been about a month. After a week it grew a film over it and then it came out even better then before. If it does not like my tank then does it mean I can't keep corals? Or is this one just being awkward? Really want a reef tank and not fish only.

It just means a parameter is out of whack, or flow, or lighting...something is not ideal. Leathers do shed a coating every now and then too. I do not know why they do this.

Done a small w/c today . Will continue with this every two or three days and fingers crossed it all gets well soon. Thanks for your help on this one. No doubt I will be seeking more advice in the near future.

Hi,I now have bristle worms that even look sick! One half of them is pink and the other half is black? The toadstall is now covered in brown jelly.

Back
Top Bottom