Mysterious Death..What to do..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

My Naso Tang is on the verge of dying.. At this moment he is laying flat on the bottom of the tank covered in sand, breathing pretty hard. About 2 hours ago he was fine swimming around the tank.. I dont know what has happened.

Ive tested the water and have the following.

Ammonia - nil
Trites - 15-20 a little unsure
Trates - 15-20 a little unsure

I know theyre both a little high..

PWC the only way to fix that??

Thanks!

Sorry for your impending loss.
Water changes will improve the water quality.
How long did you have him? How did you acclimate and did you use qt?
Any other symptoms?

It died about 5 mins after I posted.

Had him for about 8 weeks..

Quarantined For 6 weeks..

Acclimated for 2 hours adding water from tank every 15 mins

He was battling the bacterial infection on his mouth (previous post) but that had cleared up approx 1 week ago.

Although trates/trites are a little high i dont believe that contributed to its demise.. all other fish are ok..

With the fish just finished battling an infection, he probably wasn't feeling the high trates and trites in the tank. To a normal healthy fish, this would not be very harmful. But to a sick and just recovering fish it could very well be your culprit. Anything that is above average to the high side will effect a sick fish much more than a healthy one.

Sorry foor your loss. :(

I guess so, never thought of that as according to my mum, at about 10am he was fine and when she got back at 11:30am he was laying on the bottom very unusual..

Im a little sad, he was a great fish.. Going to get another one again for sure but will wait until the tanks back to 100% and all other fish are out of QT..

Thanks for the support everyone,

Matt

high nitrites are a BIG concern. Start doing water changes right away.

it may/may not be enough. Only your testkits will tell you for sure.
You need to determine why the nitrites are so high.

If you have any detectable NH3 or NO2 you are going through a cycle. I would remove fish to QT and let the tank finish its cycle. This is a sign the biological filtration is not established enough to keep fish. Adding fish too soon, too fast and too frequently is often the cause of this. It seems you have lost a few fish over the last weeks. Time to stop adding fish and figure this problem out. How is everything doing?

No fish have been added. Im gonna pull everything out today. Only lost the Naso yesterday.

Everything is going okay, it seems I havent come across this before.. Its very annoying to say the least..

All fish can be moved to QT except the moray just because of room constrictions..

the QT used to be its old tank but with 7 fish in QT i'd come across some problems if i tried to put it in there as well..

Inverts should be okay in main correct?

Any online stores sell prime? Just that I live in australia and not to familiar with it. A picture might kick start my memory. Im picking up SW in 2 hours or so.

Back
Top Bottom