mysterious deaths in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alkalineknot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had two shrimp die in my tank in the past couple of weeks. Not a HUGE deal but I am curious as to why they would both die in such a close time period. My water quality is perfect, and i do not think its tank mates (small maroon clown, scooter blenny, an anemone, a feather duster, and xenia) would kill the shrimp. Am I wrong? or is there some underlying problem in my tank like malnutrition that could have brought the untimely demises on?

i did acclimate them slowly, and they had been alive in the tank for 2 months. When i found the one he was in pieces but i had not been there all day. The other one there was only pieces of him left (my hermit crab may have had something to do with that) But i had gotten rid of him by the time the second one had died, so i dont know what would have torn the other one in half any ideas?

Are you sure they just didn't molt? The molt looks just like the shrimp, and if the crabs have torn the molt to pieces it would be hard to tell. After they molt, they will hide for a while until thier new shell hardens.

Put in any LR lately? I found a couple of smashed up corpses (they were hitchhiker crabs) and discovered I have a mantis. Trying to catch him now.

I am positive it is not a molt, i saw him molt and had to take that out around a week ago, plus there was more than just the exoskeleton that i pulled out. And no i have not added any new live rock. Eh, this one just may have to be an on going mystery

Back
Top Bottom