Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Mystery of the Shrinking Zoanthids

I've tried Zoanthids 2-3 times in my home aquairum, but each time the polyps get smaller and smaller over a period of several weeks until I"m left with nothing more than a bumpy rock. A slow march downhill. No sign of animals munching on them. I've tried more light. Then moving to less light. Someone said, too much phosphate, so I put in some "Phospha-Guard" phosphate removing granules.

I fed them: I squirted in Liquid Gold Invert food each week, but didn't consciously feed solid food in such a concerted way as to ensure the Zoanthid's got more than a random share during each feed. I feed Misis shrimp & Emerald Entree cubes [frozen] every other day.

Light: I have 2 CF 65w Actinic bulbs on for 10-12 hours per day.

I have a 55 gal tank, I do ocean water changes (benefits of living 1/4 mile from the beach), and the rest of the tank is pretty healthy. I do have Bristle/Fire worms. ( I think I have both!). I try and pull the worms out with tweezers, but they keep coming back. I do water changes with rubber gloves, but still get painful sensations in my fingers for a few days afterwards if the gloves get pierced. I don't however have long term luck with feather duster worms either. I've had as many as 5 in my tank, and over time, they all "mysteriously" disappear. [No, no crabs]. All that said, the other fish seem quite happy.

OK, you will probably all hang me with this one..... I haven't tested my water in over a year. Everything ELSE is working just fine. Only one fish death in over 1 year, and that was due to old age, I'm guessing. All the others are over 2 years old.

My Aquarium Stock List

Banded cleaner shrimp
Clown fish
Lemon Peel Angel
Fiji Damsel
Common sea urchin
Star Fish

I have a 55 gal tank that's 4-5 years old, plenum with chiller, sump with bio balls, UV3 light, I use about 1lb. carbon granules in a paint bag for clear water, i do water changes when I see algae growth speed up. [about every 8 weeks].

Anyone have any tips to help me prep for housing Zoanthid's [and maybe someday again feather dusters] again? I'm ready to go "hunting" for some, but don't have the heart to see 'em shrink slowly away.

and Aloha,

MauiGuy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Why have you not tested your water? Just because the water is ok for fish doesn't mean it's ok for corals. Most corals are far pickier than most fish are. Get a test kit before you try any more zooanthids.

Someone stop me! Please! But... not just yet...
55 Gal Tropical FW
55 Gal Mixed Reef
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont think the problem is the test, I thinks its that you do pwcs ever 8 WEEKS!!!!! I do 35-40 GALLONS a WEEK!!!!! And your ocean water could be bad. If you dont go offshore you could have polluted water.
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote

invert shrink slow death, shrinking, zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com