Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen 2" per gallon and 5" per gallon in books. Along the lines of the watts/gallon for lighting, I think the "rule of thumb" makes a lot of assumptions - tank size, filtration, skimmer, pwcs, etc. For smaller tanks though, I'd steer towards the 5" per gallon side of it because you don't have too much water to dilute things down.

Also... I've always assumed that rule is based on "adult" fish length - not the length they are right now. By my back of the envelope calcs, you've got over 20" of fish in there.

As MT79 commented - I also was curious if that damsel was giving your tankmates grief.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I'm giving the damsel to LFS today. He's about 2.5 inches. I gave been watching him, and I'm sure he's the culprit. He keeps nipping at the others. I just hate to give it to the LFS, cause I know they are just gonna sell it for $30 or something. When I told him about it he said "I'll give him a home" but did not offer any compensation. Oh, well. Everyone else seems happy as pie. Corals are all doing well. So maybe just removing the damsel will be enough. BTW..the spot is gone on the angels fin.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Damsel has a new home. Still see those spots on the clowns tail every now and then. But there is no more fighting. Flame Angel swims around minding his own business and the clown hangs out in his usual spot, coming out every now and then. So things look copesetic so far.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are the spots still white? Or are they darker spots?

Just curious because after reading that you have a frogspawn and bubble, it made me wonder if the clown isn't brushing up against it when it's sleeping and getting "burned" a little. I believe coral "burns" will show up as a dark spot though.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, these look like fade spots...like a little bleach hit the fin. then it's gone in a few hours...it moves all over too.

Tags
spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com