nasco tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a naso tang yesterday. When I got him home he was all over the tank swimming. I also have a yellow tang. The yellow tang was a little aggressive toward the new tang, but everything seemed ok. Today the naso tang has stayed in basiclly one place. Now he is hidding between two of the live rock. You can barely see him. The yellow tang seems to be trying to pick at his tail a little every once in a while. I am afraid he is dieing. Is it normal for him to hide. Will they start to get along in a day or so?

Jeanett

He died

I just went to take him out and put him in another tank and he was dead. I don't know what could have killed him. Do fish usually have a warranty? Like a few days? This was the most expensive fish I have bought. He cost me $48.00

jeanett

75 gal and 2 tangs unfortunately is not good... I am so sorry to hear about your Naso... :( They are so cool... Yellow Tangs IMO are very aggressive to other Tangs... I had one that did the same thing... I got rid of the Yellow one... Eventually I got an Atlantic Blue Tang, and he is mean too.. I swear, cant they just get along...

Most LFS do not have the warranties that online vendors have... You can ask them though...

You shouldn't put two tangs together in an tank unless it is over 100 gal. IMO 75 is to samll for them. Sorry to hear for your loss. We all learn from our mistakes. That is why this website is so good. You can get great advice so that what happend to you wont happen again.

This is one of the biggest problems I have with LFS, is that they don't ask whats in your tank or what size or any thing else. They just want to sell fish without any regard for the outccome.. If they knew your situation and said that it would be ok, then find a new store. They should give you a refund for there ignorance!!! 8)

I would at least tell your lfs store what happened. I had a x-mas wrasse ( that i payed about $90 for) die in 24 hours of no known fault of my own!! When I told the store they gave me a nice discount on my next purchase. While it wasnt a warranty i was still pleased to get some type of credit. Hopefully you can get the same, good luck!

I am sorry for your loss bosslady. Unfortunately, people new to saltwater tend to take the word of their LFS as gospel and only after they discover some problem do they stop to do research. It is a very common scenario. You list a 75 gallon tank. There are only a very few species of tangs that should go in a tank that small, and normally only one variety. It is quite easy to succumb to the lure of a beautiful fish in a fish store tank....but the best thing to do if you find one you like is to ask them to hold it a day for you, or just go back after you have researched the needs of the individual species. I do not want to sound preachy...that is not my intent although it does read that way. I to, have lost alot of money to fish purchases that were inapropriate and would just like to save you the same fate :)

Me and my LFS are buddies, so in the experiences I have had with fish dying, he usually hooks me up with a discount on the next one. I don't want him to lose money, and he wants me to come back, so it all works out.

Actually since I started in SW aquaria, we have become pretty good buddies. It is really helpful to have that kinda realtionship becaue now I don't feel like he is just trying to make money off of me. While I know he is trying to make money off of me, I also know he has my best interest in mind also.

JMTC

:hat:

Back
Top Bottom