Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to tnscuba
yep. i do have some books by Fenner already, i'll have to look at title again.

so mr. revhtree, will my 55gallon tank, listed above be suitable? I would buy other neccessary parts.

Isnt rossville,ga like 20 min from chattanooga tennesse?

thanks for the insight
will continue to indulge in reading.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually it meets in one direction. I am only about 5 min from Chatt Town.

Your 55 will be great. But it all depends on what you want to put in it. The bigger the better though...

You can use all the items you have listed. Since your not going to do LR then I would get an Emporor 400 HOB filter. I would also replace the heater with 2 new ones. 2 new because its scary to trust an old heater it could stick on and well, you know. Also if one failed then the other would maintain the temp. The lighting will be enough for just the fish, no corals.

PS. WELCOME TO AA!!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to tnscuba
appreciate the support, i have some books by, michael paletta, robert fenner, john tullock==but since this mssgboard gives real world advice and can understand coming from a budget, i def. am using you all's input in how i get this "marriage" (to sw tank) hahaha started.

i dont know if you saw but i do have roughly $1000 budget for all materials. SO i dont want to cheat myself and the experience and have bad lighting, or noisy filters, etc. BUT if i can use that tank thats a good $200 surplus for something more exciting than what i mentioned.

How do you, or anyone else feel about mixing live sand with the store shelf sand(substrate)? I would like the authenticity of a tropical sand but will it really matter?

Question this time>> if i have a wrought iron stand, excellent conditon, will the salt water corriode it over time, even if i clean up spash's or drips ASAP?

thanks AA . youve made my day . nashville aa seeker
Old 04-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have 200$ in my little 10 gallon already. And its a cheapo wal-mart deal...and I only have 5lbs of rock. More rock is on its way also.

Saltwater fish is a pretty sick hobby...I have sicker hobbies though

I have an AK to 8O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1802   Click image for larger version

Name:	arside1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1803  

Click image for larger version

Name:	glock22.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1804  

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
...I have sicker hobbies though

I don't call that sick, but I won't take pictures of mine. I feel that what I have is not for big brother to KNOW I have, just wonder

BTW tnscuba, I live in Athens, Tn. I have bought a bunch of live rock and don't have and "horror" stories to tell. I did buy a coral from my lfs and got a big mantis in it , but the ones I got from liverocks.com don't seem to bother anyone yet. I'm working on a trap just in case though.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

If I had one piece of advice about SW setups, it would be to keep the tank away from direct sunlight. I've been battling algae bloom for several months now and finally got the advice to get a UV sterilizer. It wasn't a good idea to put the tank in a sunroom.
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #17

nashville saltwater

Custom Aquariums in dickson tn find them on ebay or yellow pages.. i bought there 75 and love it. i built my own stand have under 200 in both
Old 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com
A 55gal is a great starter size, but a 75gal would be better. If you plan on moving a lot on the next few years (as I did in college and after) then a 100+ gal is really a pain in the a$$ to move. Buy your tank and stand locally and source the rest of our equipment on-line. You can save a ton by buying what you need from an on-line source. good luck in the research and keep stopping by here with your questions...Lando
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
Quote:
...I have sicker hobbies though

I don't call that sick, but I won't take pictures of mine. I feel that what I have is not for big brother to KNOW I have, just wonder
All my guns are in my name anyways...so they already know I have them. I am not worried about it. I just lost them in a horrible boating accident...they are in the bottom of the ohio somewhere

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I really am not fond of live rock (not to bash anyone).
You will be.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com