Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I was afraid of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfaff77 View Post
All this making me quite nervous. Where would I get this medication? LFS has all this? It is only on the top of his fin. I would think be fairly painless on his fin to cut out. I won't be receiving the trap till early next week so I will observe. I don't know if I want to go thru stressing fish by catching him and medicating him and putting him in a 10 gallon when it can still be nothing. At what point do I go forward with quarantine?? 1 week if no improvement or gets worse??

I do appreciate all the input. This is new experience after 6 years in the hobby. I had to hospital a pair of clowns with brooklynella years ago and I lost them both.
I was afriad I was scaring you.
What you have to realize is that this could be something or it could be nothing. It's the reason why quarantining is so important before putting fish into your main tank.
If this is a parasite and you are running a reef type tank, most good meds for parasites might kill some or all of your inverts. If you are running a fish only tank with a therepuetic dose of Copper, this shouldn't be an issue. If this is a "skin tag" or common cyst, I'd just leave it alone.
It's not possible to acurately diagnose your fish's situation with these pictures which is why I suggested you get someone local who knows what they are looking at and for to help you. I've had plenty of fish that have developed cysts. Some have been problems, some have been nothing. Acurate diagnosis is the key.
That's the best advice anyone can give you.

As for the Brooklynella, more people have lost fish to this disease than you can imagine. You just joined the club

Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I mean... Ive seen that it made a difference in the regeneration of their fins and I've used it on goldfish I tried to feed which they left alone but still picked at their fins. Cutting the infected area off would be your best bet. You don't even need to qt him next. It's as if a fish nipped on him.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just update. I havnt taken fish out yet. All seems normal. Bubble hasn't got bigger or smaller. Eats seaweed and frozen everyday. I hope it is nothing. He opens dorsal fin like it doesn't bother him. So for now he is staying in display tank.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good

Quote:
Just update. I havnt taken fish out yet. All seems normal. Bubble hasn't got bigger or smaller. Eats seaweed and frozen everyday. I hope it is nothing. He opens dorsal fin like it doesn't bother him. So for now he is staying in display tank.
Hopefully it's just a "skin tag" situation and nothing will come of it.

Keep us posted
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update: good news and bad news.

Good news.
All of the bubbles on his fin are gone and I did nothing. They just naturally subsided. He had been eating and doing great for months.

Bad news
Now he has this Wierd dark stripe on one side. He again seems completely in bothered by this. Just strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3055284526.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	96348  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good news /bad news answer :)

Quote:
Update: good news and bad news.

Good news.
All of the bubbles on his fin are gone and I did nothing. They just naturally subsided. He had been eating and doing great for months.

Bad news
Now he has this Wierd dark stripe on one side. He again seems completely in bothered by this. Just strange.
The good news answer:
Well, as I said "It could be something or it could be nothing." Thankfully, it sounds like the "nothing" wins. Congrats and you can wipe your brow

The bad news answer:
It looks like he might have been stung by one of your corals or anemones. Once again, I'd just watch it to see if it gets worse. Fish can have this happen to them in the wild and it's just time and clean water that heals them. Let's hope this too is nothing to be concerned about
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Havnt thought of that and although no anemone I do have frogspawn and bubble coral which could possibly sting him.

Tags
bubble, fin, naso, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com