Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Naso tang looks boney !!! Help?

hello, i have been testing my water and everything is good. ammonia-0, nitrite-0, ammonia-10, and ph-8.0. my naso is looking very boney, he seems to be eating and has been moving around the tank. i have not noticed any funny behavior, im just concerned for him being awefully thin. I want him to be healthy and happy !!!!! not sure what to do? i feed frozen mysis, frozen emerald algea, and a pellet food. alternating each for nutrient supply. hope someone has a suggestion!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I hope you mean you have 10 nitrate and not ammonia! LOL

What size tank and what are his tank mates? does he eat alot or graze on the rocks during the day? How old is the tank?

I feed my tangs frozen mysis, brine, bloodworms, then sprilina flakes and I always try to have a clip with seaweed on it in the tank.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh, im sorry, that is nitrate. im a little tired. it is a 125g amd i have 2 clarkii, 2 pep shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, 1 hermit crab, sea hare, pencil urchin, LTE, and a sailfin tang.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skinny Naso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrock View Post
oh, im sorry, that is nitrate. im a little tired. it is a 125g amd i have 2 clarkii, 2 pep shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, 1 hermit crab, sea hare, pencil urchin, LTE, and a sailfin tang.

Naso Tangs are usually eating most of the time. They also need some protien in their diet as well. I've witnessed them eating feeder guppies intended for Anthias that were in the same tank. You should keep a supply of food always available so that the fish can eat when it wants and not just when you want to feed it. As mentioned above, you may want to keep a clip of Romain or seaweed in the tank at all times and add some form of protien as well to your food.

One other possibility, you say you have a Sailfin Tang in the tank as well. Sails and almost all rounder Tangs can be more agressive than your elongated surgeonfishes such as Nasos. Make sure that your sailfin is not harrassing the Naso when you feed or at any other times. This could be related to the amount of food he is actually getting when fed and causing his mal nutritioned appearance. You might need to separate the 2 fish if this is the case (at least until the Naso has packed on some body weight).

Hope this helps...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My yellow tang also has this problem I feed seaweed but I'll always try to put some in
Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Surgeons and Tangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adio800 View Post
My yellow tang also has this problem I feed seaweed but I'll always try to put some in
Most all Surgeons and Tangs are constant feeders. I've found that the biggest problem people have keeping them is keeping them full. A Tang out in the wild always has a full belly. It doesn't fluxuate. If yours gets thin in the belly and thin behind the head, you're not feeding enough. If his belly is full and he's losing weight in the shoulders, he's prbably got an internal parasite that is robbing the nutients from the food he's eating or some other digestive issue. The key is the shoulders first. If there is plenty of meat, he's eating enough.
Make sure there is a constant supply of foods available for about 1 month and see if he gains any weight.

Best of luck...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

Most all Surgeons and Tangs are constant feeders. I've found that the biggest problem people have keeping them is keeping them full. A Tang out in the wild always has a full belly. It doesn't fluxuate. If yours gets thin in the belly and thin behind the head, you're not feeding enough. If his belly is full and he's losing weight in the shoulders, he's prbably got an internal parasite that is robbing the nutients from the food he's eating or some other digestive issue. The key is the shoulders first. If there is plenty of meat, he's eating enough.
Make sure there is a constant supply of foods available for about 1 month and see if he gains any weight.

Best of luck...
I'm gunna always try an keep food in there for him
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would suggest adding mysis shrimp to the diet of the tangs (i use a IM syringe to add vitmins into the mysis shrimp before feeding). I hand feed all my fish to insure that each one gets food. I always provide them with nori each day (but sunday -.^...my predators are on a different feeding scheduled), because there is not much algae due to my CUC.

watch the poop...usually if a fish has a parasite their poop looks different than normal
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Watch your water quality. Don't sacrifice it for the fish, or you'll be sacrificing the fish.
I don't feed my fish constantly and they are fine. As a matter of fact, some are fed only twice a week, and show no signs of malnutrition.
If all the other fish are fine and you are witnessing the naso eat with them, I would look to something besides the food.
A parasite is more likely, as mentioned.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It goes without saying that more intake equals more output
That's why you need to have a good filtering system in a tank of Tangs.

While Mr X might have a good balance of fish that only need suplimental feeding 2x a week, there may be natural food in his tank(s) for his fish to eat and suppliment his feeding routine. 1 malnurished tang amongst a tank full of fat fish does not always add up to disease. It all depends on what types the other fish are in the tank.
As mentioned before, most tangs in nature are constantly nibbling on food and have a high metabolism. Just because you've taken that fish and put him in a tank does not mean that he changes his feeding habits or requirements. I once saw an Atlantic Doctorfish down in the Virgin Islands who was missing almost 1/2 of the flesh on one side of his body. He was swimming in a school of other Doctorfish. Surprised to see a fish with that much muscle damage still alive, I couldn't help but notice how fat his stomach was. I'm telling you, they are always eating.

Just keep your eyes on your protein skimmer and water quality during this feeding schedule.

Tags
naso, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com