Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Naso Tang question

I resently got a 3-4" Naso tang for a 65 Gal tank. I know it is going to out grow this at some point. How fast do these grow on average? How big is too big for this sized tank (i.e. 7-8"). I only have 3 damsels right now and I don't plan on getting any more fish right now but I might change my mind in the future if the tank stays stable for a few months. I have a large filter and protein skimmer.

He is picking the algae growth off the rocks and tank but is not eating the green algae sheets I'm putting in much. Anyone have a good diet plan for these.

BTW if you think this is crowded it was in a 10 gal when I bought it full of chromies.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They say 135 min on these fish... I have a 4" in my 125 a 6' long tank and he seems happy, plenty of swimming room.
If he's eating and swimming then he shold be fine for now but he may get sick after a while if there is not enough swimming room.
It's not really all about keeping the tank stable that you should look at, its keeping the fish healthy in a small tank.
Try feeding it brine/mysid shrimp and flake foods. Not all of them will eat the sheets.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can try brown Nori, mine eats like there is no tomorrow. He also loves frozen mysis shrimp. I feed mine (and the whole tank) a variety of stuff.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I have had mine almost a year and she has about doubled in size. Very healthy, eats like a pig and a very active swimmer. This is why they need the space, so figure that between now and the next 9 or so months, if the Tang is eating well, you will need to upgrade the tank. One thing to keep in mind is that at the current size, it is a lot easier to trap and handle, so you may want to seriously think about upgrading now. HTH

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dont up grade the tank thats exspensive just down grade the fish trade him in at your LFS for a smaller one people get to stuck on having the same fish for ever they would up grade there house if they had to! LFS will give you store credit for him! Aquariums and fish are my hobby but im not that stuck on my fish that i cant trade them in when they out grow there home.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers18
Dont up grade the tank thats exspensive just down grade the fish trade him in.
Speak for yourself man, I get attached to my pretty fishy and inverts.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah you get attached but not like a dog or cat i hope i would NEVER trade in my dog but fish come on man it's a fish. I have no problem hooking one for dinner or cutting a small one up for bait to get the bigger ones to bite. I like my fish and this hobby but im not spending 4 or 5 thousand on a bigger setup just because my fish got to big! If you would then more power to ya! I get tired of looking at the same fish anyway.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
yeah you get attached but not like a dog or cat i hope i would NEVER trade in my dog but fish come on man it's a fish
that is coming really close to ridiculing people for their emotions and doing that isnt too nice. Please remember that there are alot of people here that do not feel that way and would be offended by your words.

Beyond that, saltwater fish can be quite expensive and you can not hope to regain the monies spent on their purchase nor the care that got them to a large size by trading them in at a fish store. The variety of fish that can be purchased is phenomenal, why not just start with something more appropriate to the tank you have?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Dont up grade the tank thats exspensive just down grade the fish trade him in at your LFS for a smaller one
That doesn't seem to be a responsible way of thinking, especially when considering that fish was yanked from the ocean for "our" hobby. What happens to all the ones that aren't tiny and cute?? I couldn't be so careless about ANY living thing. (and hopefully the universe won't be so careless w/ me...)
Old 10-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can call it what you want. I like to refer to it as my opinion. And if im not mistaken thats what forums are for. So you can get different opinions. Other wise they could just go to there LFS and get one opinion and not have to deal with all the conservatives on this forum. Dont get me wrong i like this site i've gotten a lot usefull info from it but forums are for opinins and i posted mine and people get pissed??? To me it would be ridicules to spend a few thousand bucks on a hundred dollar fish thats my opinion. Some fish can live a very long time so how many tanks are you going to buy in that fishs life time??Im not saying use it for bait im saying take it back where you bought it. But to tell a new comer to the hobby that he/she cant buy certian fish because they grow to big or there tank is to small is not right thats steering them wrong. And i do agree you should buy acording to your tank size but fish grow over time so then what take out a second mortage so he has more room to swim?

Tags
naso, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com