Naso tangs keep dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to chime in a bit here. There are a whole lot of things I would have done differently had I found this site before I started my SW experience. But, now I know that it is best to ask lots of questions before I move forward with what I want to do. That is the good that comes out of this site. Even if I take a bit of abuse once in a while I know that they are doing it because they are passionate and I can appreciate that as long as they can appreciate that I am going to make mistakes but will do my best.

I've done some not advised things myself and have suffered through the success as well as the failure.

I got a sun coral. He didnt open much and died.
I got an anemone- returned to store when I freaked out having it in my tank and the possible bad outcomes.
I got scooter blenny by mistake- this is a success. he is eating all prepared foods now and is quite plump. :)
I got a mandarin- still to be determined.

We've all done these things. LOL

Nice, and the no smoking or drinking is what funds my expensive hobby too. 500g would cost a fortune in the UK, how much will that go for in the US?

Not sure about the UK but craigslist ROCKS here; I saw a 500 gallon for $800. Of course you need lighting etc. but the one I saw my current lights would work (2 36" metal halides) it is slightly deeper by about 6" than my current tank, but I would need bigger fuge, heaters etc.

Though I ask a lot of questions, I am fairly handy, and I plan on buying a different house within next few years, and want to build the 500 gallon into a corner wall somehow such that 2 1/2 sides will be visibile; something like connecting a kitchen to living room or something. Dreaming of that.

At any rate, what should I keep an eye out for in my tank? Is it normal for ZERO alkalinity to show up in RO+DI water?

I've done some not advised things myself and have suffered through the success as well as the failure.

I got a sun coral. He didnt open much and died.
I got an anemone- returned to store when I freaked out having it in my tank and the possible bad outcomes.
I got scooter blenny by mistake- this is a success. he is eating all prepared foods now and is quite plump. :)
I got a mandarin- still to be determined.

We've all done these things. LOL

I have been lucky. None of my mistakes have been livestock related. My biggest mistake was not having my FW tank drilled before making it SW and skimping on the light I purchased. Now I am very limited on what I can and can't do going forward until I can afford to upgrade my tank.

In case you didn't notice, that article is for freshwater.
"Remove one-third of your aquarium's water and replace with fresh, treated tap water."
You do that and it will drop your salinity drastically.

The ONLY way to drop alkalinity in a saltwater system is do water changes with a salt that has a lower alk level than your tank.

Also, I never heard of alk having an affect on any fish. Your alk is high, but not all that high and IMO it has no affect on fish. If there are any studies done showing such a negative affect, I would be very interested in reading them.
Yep,your right capt,I copied the wrong one but the saltwater one is basically the same,and as i stated to test his water before adding to the tank as its no good trying to drop the alk if its high in his new water.(as you have stated).as for the fact alk harms naso I stated that I heard this was true,if you want studies on everthing someone writes on this forum it would be empty,most comments,cures and preferences are from personal experiences in the hobby not on definate facts,we are all just trying to help in any way.

Last edited:
Yep,your right capt,I copied the wrong one but the saltwater one is basically the same,and as i stated to test his water before adding to the tank as its no good trying to drop the alk if its high in his new water.(as you have stated).as for the fact alk harms naso I stated that I heard this was true,if you want studies on everthing someone writes on this forum it would be empty,most comments,cures and preferences are from personal experiences in the hobby not on definate facts,we are all just trying to help in any way.High alk isn't going to help any fish.

David,

Any tips on how to lower my alkalinity?

I did a test of my water straight from RO filter; Some reason it doesn't register any alkalinity right out of the RO filter; is that normal?

Some reason it doesn't register any alkalinity right out of the RO filter; is that normal?

Yep, it's purified water. I once tested my RO/DI water and no tests showed any results :lol: then i reminded myself "this stuff is pure water, of course it's not going to show anything".

Yep, it's purified water. I once tested my RO/DI water and no tests showed any results :lol: then i reminded myself "this stuff is pure water, of course it's not going to show anything".

LOL ok, so what can I do to bring my alkalinity/calcium down a little so I'm not poisoning my fish/corals?

David,

Any tips on how to lower my alkalinity?

I did a test of my water straight from RO filter; Some reason it doesn't register any alkalinity right out of the RO filter; is that normal?

You need to test the new saltwater,if the alk is high then dont use it as it wont help drop the level,you may have to change salt.

Remember tangs are one of the easiest fish to get stressed in this hobby, and although strange tha 3 have died it could still be down to stress from a new tank with a large amount of fish aswell.Did you notice if the naso's colouration got darker before they died?

remember a qt is there to stop any diseases entering your dt from new fish,dont you qt yours?did you get them from the same lfs? if so maybe try a different one next time.

remember a qt is there to stop any diseases entering your dt from new fish,dont you qt yours?did you get them from the same lfs? if so maybe try a different one next time.

2 of the naso's were from 1 lfs; the 3rd and final was from a different one.

And no I don't quarantine, though I need to get a quarantine tank setup :(

.......as for the fact alk harms naso I stated that I heard this was true,if you want studies on everthing someone writes on this forum it would be empty,most comments,cures and preferences are from personal experiences in the hobby not on definate facts,we are all just trying to help in any way.
No, but the internet is full of misinformation. I simply stated I never heard alk has an affect on fish health and if it did I would like to read about it.
Not trying to start an argument or anything...but I tend not to go with the he said - she said - he heard type thing. I do agree with alot of things you post tho. :)

Rather than quarantine, can I put them in my refugium?
Is the fuge part of your system? If it is, you aren't quarantining it, your isolating it from the rest of the fish. If it's carrying a parasite it will spread to the other fish.

Is the fuge part of your system? If it is, you aren't quarantining it, your isolating it from the rest of the fish. If it's carrying a parasite it will spread to the other fish.

Gotcha. Looks like i need to set myself up a quarantine tank

I just put the yellow tang back in the tank. Moved rocks around a little. Been watching him and powder tang bicker for past hour but they seem ok now. Hope they both make it til morning

Back
Top Bottom