Naso tangs keep dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keep doing pwc's but also keep adding ro/di top off water,it will drop eventually.I would suggest testing your new saltwater before you put it in.
Read this How to Reduce the Alkalinity of Aquarium Water | eHow.com
In case you didn't notice, that article is for freshwater.
"Remove one-third of your aquarium's water and replace with fresh, treated tap water."
You do that and it will drop your salinity drastically.

The ONLY way to drop alkalinity in a saltwater system is do water changes with a salt that has a lower alk level than your tank.

Also, I never heard of alk having an affect on any fish. Your alk is high, but not all that high and IMO it has no affect on fish. If there are any studies done showing such a negative affect, I would be very interested in reading them.

Could my yellow tang be the culprit?

I added a blue powder tang today and within seconds the yellow tang flashed its spike out and went NUTS after the powder tang.

I scooped the yellow tang out and put him down in my sump for now til I figure out what to do with him.

Should I wait a few days and put the yellow tang back up in the tank see if it goes after the blue powder tang again or u think I'll def have issues? I've NEVER seen aggression from him before but today was nuts.

Yellow tangs are very aggressive to other tangs of same size and color. Take a mirror and place it in the tank for a few weeks. That will help the aggression. I had a problem when I added a sailfin tang to my tank. Out of no where my yellow tang started attacking it. This could be your underlying problem also I think you are overstocked. That could put stress on the tang.

ozorowsky said:
Could my yellow tang be the culprit?

I added a blue powder tang today and within seconds the yellow tang flashed its spike out and went NUTS after the powder tang.

I scooped the yellow tang out and put him down in my sump for now til I figure out what to do with him.

Should I wait a few days and put the yellow tang back up in the tank see if it goes after the blue powder tang again or u think I'll def have issues? I've NEVER seen aggression from him before but today was nuts.

Besides the fact that u have too many fish (see previous response from me) I would also not have that many tangs in one tank... Especially that small size (small as in small for a tang)... That's just asking for trouble. But I guess nobody cares

I have only just picked up on this thread as I have been away for a few days, forgive my lack of diplomacy but what the **** is going on here?!? If we were talking about dogs being kept in such conditions the authorities would be prosecuting the person responsible! I have a 125g reef and I have recently drawn the line at 2 very small juvenile tangs along with some other small fish. Naso's are a beautiful fish but grow to be huge. Also I have not seen anyone mention diet yet - again please forgive me if you have but I have missed it. What have you fed these tangs on? a good quality seaweed is essential for the long term health of tangs. Bottom line from me - too many fish, too **** soon! PS. **** Stop adding fish***

paulace2372 said:
I have only just picked up on this thread as I have been away for a few days, forgive my lack of diplomacy but what the **** is going on here?!? If we were talking about dogs being kept in such conditions the authorities would be prosecuting the person responsible! I have a 125g reef and I have recently drawn the line at 2 very small juvenile tangs along with some other small fish. Naso's are a beautiful fish but grow to be huge. Also I have not seen anyone mention diet yet - again please forgive me if you have but I have missed it. What have you fed these tangs on? a good quality seaweed is essential for the long term health of tangs. Bottom line from me - too many fish, too **** soon! PS. **** Stop adding fish***

Glad somebody agrees with me

Sorry that we are so upset, but in my eyes this is just like paulace said: you may as well stuff 21 Great Danes in a 12x12 kennel! Let's see how long they survive

For what it's worth, bashing the op isn't going to change his mind. He will just stop posting/asking questions or lie to avoid conflict. Yes he's overstocked. He prob knows this by now. Instead tell him what is a good stock for a 125.

I agree nothing positive can be gained from bashing the OP. he has what he has and thats that.

My opinion would be to not add another naso, but thats just an opinion.

The overstocking could have something to do with the naso and their dying or maybe the age of the tank. Tangs get freaked out really easy and maybe that many fish just literally stressed it to death.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Well, I said it once and I said it nicely but got totally ignored like chopped liver.
I better not read in this thread anymore as it just upsets me

Yeah I agree, this post just pi**es me off! As recently as yesterday this clown was still making additions to his already overloaded tank - blatantly ignoring advice he was in such "urgent" need of so I'm afraid I don't buy that it will change his mind - someone needed to say what I did to be honest. Now... perhaps not the most constructive advice but if I were the OP I would sell your fish, the tank and equipment and buy one of those nice therapy DVD's with a reef and fish on it - you wont be able to kill them!

I think the OP gets the message. Further aggression will just make it worse.
:-D

I would consider re homing but again, can;t make the OP do anything he doesnt want to. We can just best advise based on the situation. Which everyone here has done.

Catching up here, please bear with me.

First off I am grateful to any and ALL advice given, so if you feel as though I don't listen, its not that at all. Its just a proven fact you absorb as much information you can on the internet and do what you want with the knowledge you gain. Everyone has an opinion and their own personal experience, which doesn't make it right or wrong just their experience.

That said, I am not getting more fish, I hear you loud and clear on your feelings on the tank being over stocked. Its just a very addicting hobby and when I'm out shopping and find nice fish its hard to say no. I AM however shopping for a 500 gallon tank, so the fish will have more room sooner than later.

Now, to continue with the post, I tested my alkalinity of my RO+DI water last night and 23 drops later the color still didn't change. Is it possible my RO+DI water has ZERO alkalinity? PH of my tap water was 7.4 or so.

Lastly, I removed the yellow tang last night because I added my last fish; powder blue tang and the yellow fish went nuts dagger out, swimming backwards trying to kill my powder tang; very possible thats what attacked my nasos but just not as aggressively.

I am going to take CCAPTs advice tonight and go by my LFS and ask for some lower alkalinity salt. Need to figure out how to lower my alkalinity a little.

Forgive me, I am new. Sorry if I aggravated some of you but its like a kid at the candy store; I dive often and love watching fish. I won't put any more fish in the tank, until I get a bigger tank. I do want to ensure the fish I have are healthy and remain healthy though so looking for any advice. I'll post pictures or whatever you like. I don't know what I don't know.

LOL. Theres nothing to be gained from hostility or making someone feel bad on this site is my opinion. This is such a great forum I hate to see people bicker or what not.

Thats one thing that sets this site apart from MANY MANY others, is the fact that we don't belabor a point and scare away the person. We want them to learn whats wrong and try to correct it.

I love seeing the happy threads with no dissention. Debate is good for a change but just not the hostility.

I dont wanna BASH you now!! LOL

I would guess the actual answer to this post lies somewhere between too fast stocking and overstocking as well as acclimation.

i think we all agree those factors may be contributing to the dead fish.

And off I go to make peace and harmony elsewhere.....or just do some fish stuff. LOL

Catching up here, please bear with me.

First off I am grateful to any and ALL advice given, so if you feel as though I don't listen, its not that at all. Its just a proven fact you absorb as much information you can on the internet and do what you want with the knowledge you gain. Everyone has an opinion and their own personal experience, which doesn't make it right or wrong just their experience.

That said, I am not getting more fish, I hear you loud and clear on your feelings on the tank being over stocked. Its just a very addicting hobby and when I'm out shopping and find nice fish its hard to say no. I AM however shopping for a 500 gallon tank, so the fish will have more room sooner than later.

Now, to continue with the post, I tested my alkalinity of my RO+DI water last night and 23 drops later the color still didn't change. Is it possible my RO+DI water has ZERO alkalinity? PH of my tap water was 7.4 or so.

Lastly, I removed the yellow tang last night because I added my last fish; powder blue tang and the yellow fish went nuts dagger out, swimming backwards trying to kill my powder tang; very possible thats what attacked my nasos but just not as aggressively.

I am going to take CCAPTs advice tonight and go by my LFS and ask for some lower alkalinity salt. Need to figure out how to lower my alkalinity a little.

Forgive me, I am new. Sorry if I aggravated some of you but its like a kid at the candy store; I dive often and love watching fish. I won't put any more fish in the tank, until I get a bigger tank. I do want to ensure the fish I have are healthy and remain healthy though so looking for any advice. I'll post pictures or whatever you like. I don't know what I don't know.

Yeah look... about that, I can vocalise like an A*s at times so sorry for any offence caused. i am familiar with the " just one more fish" line and as you will see and hear from most people on here it soon becomes "go on, just one more tank" lol. 500 gallons? Jeez, you either have too much room or too much money :) I plan to re-locate to australia at some stage and eventually have something of a similar size there. back you advice though- Once you are happy with your params and that your test kit works fine then dont obsess too much with that. I am gonna sound like a broken record but I really don't think your powder blue will survive where your naso didn't, in my experience they are actually quite a hard tang to get it right with and often dont do too well. maybe see if you can re - home the tangs until you are completely setup with your 500g and then SLOWLY re introduce over a period of a few months and only when you are happy that things are steady.

Anyway, good luck and please post pics of your 500g when you get it - it will make an excellent thread subject on here. Once again - sorry for beating my chest earlier!

Yeah look... about that, I can vocalise like an A*s at times so sorry for any offence caused. i am familiar with the " just one more fish" line and as you will see and hear from most people on here it soon becomes "go on, just one more tank" lol. 500 gallons? Jeez, you either have too much room or too much money :) I plan to re-locate to australia at some stage and eventually have something of a similar size there. back you advice though- Once you are happy with your params and that your test kit works fine then dont obsess too much with that. I am gonna sound like a broken record but I really don't think your powder blue will survive where your naso didn't, in my experience they are actually quite a hard tang to get it right with and often dont do too well. maybe see if you can re - home the tangs until you are completely setup with your 500g and then SLOWLY re introduce over a period of a few months and only when you are happy that things are steady.

Anyway, good luck and please post pics of your 500g when you get it - it will make an excellent thread subject on here. Once again - sorry for beating my chest earlier!

No hard feelings man I know we're all cooler online. I spent 8 years in the army I can handle some hostility.

At any rate, sorry again if I ticked some people off. I'm not buying more fish; I just want to iron out quirks in my current system and let my fish be healthy until I move them to their new home.

I don't have too much room OR money. I just know what I like, don't smoke or drink so thats how I can afford stuff like this. That, and I bargain shop like crazy. I'm not buying THIS tank but here's an example of whats for sale in my area from time to time:

9OO gln Aquarium For a GolfCart/ Something else?

Nice, and the no smoking or drinking is what funds my expensive hobby too. 500g would cost a fortune in the UK, how much will that go for in the US?

Back
Top Bottom